1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could my turkeys be eating my chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by afveteran88, Dec 10, 2012.

1. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    This is my first year with turkeys mixed in with my chicks. All my girls just went through molting and I will get a few eggs a day. But I have 40 chicks and just can't believe my low egg count. I never had this problem before so I'm wondering if my turkeys (3) could be eating or at least breaking the eggs? I could put up a trail camera but I would end up with 100's of pictures. I work during the day so there is no way of checking every hour or so. Maybe I could lock the turkeys up for a day or two and see if that is it.
    Anyone ever have this problem?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If your girls just finished molting it could be that they are not producing eggs full steam yet. If the turkeys are eating the eggs you should be able to see some signs like smeared yolk in the nest boxes etc. But separate them for a day and see what happens. You never know.

3. afveteran88

afveteran88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Deerfield, Michigan
    Thanks I will try that. Only got 5 eggs today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by