Could new feed cause a stop in laying?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengal30, Feb 4, 2012.

1. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Hello everyone!

I posted yesterday as I have a ten month old hen who I thought was egg bound. She usually gives me 6-7 eggs a week, so when she stopped it seemed odd for her.
    Its day five and there's been warm baths, massages, electrolytes, isolation, runny poo and some weight loss. On day three - third day of not laying, she started just sitting on the floor of the coop, it was at that point I went into action, thinking it was more than just a laying break (however she had been in the egg box a lot I assume trying to lay)

Well as I said, its now day five of no eggs, but she seems fine, so Ive put her back in with the others and I'm hoping I misdiagnosed her.
    I had had the girls on a layer feed but changed it as I added two new girls to a feed with no or little calcium, but gave oyster shell in a hanging feeder for the laying girls. Now the new girls are 18 wks Ive changed back to the layer feed. Could this of caused the stop in laying in my Black Star. My E.E and Red star are laying well and my Dark Cornish is in a moult.

If she was egg bound, surely by day five she'd be at deaths door???

What do you think??

THANK-YOU!!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Not sure, it seems like all your hens would have decreased laying if it was just the feed. Sounds more like she was ill.

3. chickengal30

chickengal30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    West coast of Florida.
    Yes Im thinking maybe so too. I just hope she continues to seem ok. Eggs would be nice but more than any thing I want her alive and well! Shes my sweetie!
    Thanks for your reply - anyone else??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by