Could our rooster have caused this injury? (Pics)

sukochickens

Songster
6 Years
Mar 16, 2015
Virginia

I'm sorry it's difficult to see. I didn't think to take pictures until after I had already treated her. Last week I noticed this hen had a large gash on the back of her head/neck. We thought it was from an owl, as another of our hens was killed by one a few weeks before. But now I'm wondering if it could be from our rooster? She stayed inside with us for a few days until she was feeling better. Her wound looks great and she is acting like she feels much better. So last night we put her back with the flock and she is absolutely terrified of the rooster. She is currently hiding behind our kayak and won't come out. If he sees her, he does anything to try to get her and mate with her. Do you think he could have caused this wound or is he just wanting to mate with her a lot because she was gone for a few days? I'd hate to get rid of him. He's very handsome and I'm hoping he did his job and chased the owl away before it killed this chicken. But if he won't leave her alone he might end up in the freezer. Thanks!

Well, as you might guess, it's going to be hard to prove, but I would say 'yes', it's possible.
Perhaps you can isolate him for a few days to give her time to gain a bit of confidence and further heal?

I say yeah its possible hsrd to say he did through and i agree with the above seperate him for several days. If she been gone awhile then its likely he trying to mate what he thinks is a new hen and make her part of his flock, mating shows dominace and some roosters have favorites and if that the case and she had no feathers left there he could hace damaged her skin. If you rooster has spurs check under her wings see if there was any damsge thats a good sign if he had however unkess seen csnt be sure

Thank you for you replies! The rooster does not have spurs yet. He's still young. I will try an separate them and see if that helps.

Thank you for you replies! The rooster does not have spurs yet. He's still young. I will try an separate them and see if that helps.

The fact that he is young would also lead me to suspect him. Older birds have 'got it together' and are usually less wear & tear on the ladies. His beak could have caused that mark.
Best o' luck - let us know!
smile.png

Thank you! He's gotten very full of himself here recently. He tried to attack my husband today. He may not last much longer if he keeps this up. Lol!

Thank you! He's gotten very full of himself here recently. He tried to attack my husband today. He may not last much longer if he keeps this up. Lol!

Ok - if he keeps it up, there is an article here in the learning center which tells you how to 'break' a rooster. Personally - I cull them. Bad attitude breeds to the chicks.........
smile.png

Ok - if he keeps it up, there is an article here in the learning center which tells you how to 'break' a rooster. Personally - I cull them. Bad attitude breeds to the chicks.........:)  

I'll look into that, thanks. I don't think we plan on hatching any eggs. Not as of right now anyway. We mainly kept him to protect the girls. A job he currently sucks at!
1f602.png
He usually runs away from us and everything else. He's only attacked us a couple of times and it was a sneak attack when our backs were turned. As soon as we turn around he runs. I think I read on here somewhere that you're supposed to hold them down on the ground until they stop struggling. I'd do that if I could catch the jerk!

I'll look into that, thanks. I don't think we plan on hatching any eggs. Not as of right now anyway. We mainly kept him to protect the girls. A job he currently sucks at!
1f602.png
He usually runs away from us and everything else. He's only attacked us a couple of times and it was a sneak attack when our backs were turned. As soon as we turn around he runs. I think I read on here somewhere that you're supposed to hold them down on the ground until they stop struggling. I'd do that if I could catch the jerk!

Be careful - the sneak attacks will get worse - been there, done that! Basically you have to get them to be submissive to you. Do you have any older girls? Sometimes putting a young 'roo in with the more seasoned girls sorts them out....

i would definitely think the rooster could do that. a feather could have also been pulled, and started to bleed- and the flock could have gone after her, because they will peck at red.

and currently, if he is a macho man, he is probably trying to show you (who is observing) who is boss of that chicken (the injured one) and that she is his. this is probably freaking her out and she just wants to hide from him. he could also be trying to make sure she stays in line and doing the whole "pecking order" thing with submissiveness since she was gone for a while. if i were you i would start to try to make that rooster less dominant. you need to be who is boss of the flock. he needs to go down in the pecking order, and a good way to do that is to get him away from the flock for a few days, put him in another kennel with food and water in the garage or someplace safe obviously and let him be alone, when you put him back after a few days he will have gone down in the pecking order.

on top of this, i would be handling that rooster on a daily frequent basis. he needs to be picked up and held tight by yourself under the arm, and the girls need to see this. do this for as long as you have time for (at least a few minutes at a time) i would walk around with my rooster under my arm for sometimes up to a half hour. it really helps. he will get embarrassed and not want you to do this, but by doing this you are showing him you are the alpha and in charge, and that those are "your girls" not just his. it might help with any aggressive behaviors. he needs to submit to you

i didn't see that you mentioned that you can't catch him. try to get him inside the coop, first thing in the morning maybe before he is let out to run the yard. or get a net, those work, or a poled net. you've gotta show him who is boss or he will get more aggressive and potentially injure your family mot just the hens

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom