COULD PEOPLE POST PICS OF THEIR WELSH HARLEQUIN DUCKS

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pirtykitty, Jan 13, 2009.

1. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    i WAS WONDERING IF SOME OF YOU WHO HAVE WELSH HARLEQUIN DUCKS COULD POST PICS OF THEM WITH YOUR OTHER DUCKS SO WE COULD SEE SIZE DIFFERENCE..
    I TELL HUBBY THAT THE WH AREN'T VERY BIG.. HE SEEMS TO THINK THEY ARE BECAUSE OF THE ONES WE SAW AT THE BLUE BONNET CLASSIC POULTRY SHOW IN BRYAN TEXAS A FEW WEEKS AGO..
    DO YA'LL ALSO KEEP YOUR BANTAM DUCKS WITH THE LARGER DUCKS OR DO YOU SEPERATE.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    CHRISTINE

2. My Welsh Harlequin is smaller than my Khaki Campbell
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I might have pics somewhere around here. When they were swimming in a pond they were the same size as my runners and a hair bigger than the campbell hen I had. I have seen some that are huge.

4. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    I looked through my pics from some good side-by-side shots, but didn't find any. The size of ducks in any given breed can vary a lot. I have some WH's from one line that are taller than any of my other breeds, but weigh less. The individuals from another line are noticeably smaller, but heavier. WH's are classified as a Light breed just like Campbells (usually smaller) and Runners (exhibition Runners are REALLY tall!)

The WH's you saw at College Station are mine and they are from the taller line.

Webfoot

5. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thank you so far to everyone who has posted pics . Hopefully a few more people might be able to post some..
    I didn't think that the welsh harlequin were very big compared to the other ones. but have to have pictures to show hubby the difference...
    The ones we saw at the show in Bryan texas were almost as big as the buffs that were there.. It has to be something with the breeding cause thes did not look like 4 and 5 lb ducks..

6. pirtykitty

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Webfoot Hello!!! Then I am right.. thank goodness. Where are you located??? I am in waco texas.. Who would have the smaller ones.. or do you will you by any chance be haveing them..
    Your welsh harlequins were just beautifull I was hoping to get to meet the person who had them.. and talk to them.. so I could prove to hubby that they aren't normally that big. OOOOh I'm so glad to get to talk to you.
    any information you can send me about them would be appreciated.
    christine

PS I was like a little kid in a candy shop looking at the ducks but kept coming back t to the wh.. ( I am a 52 year old kid lol)

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I just got my mcmurray catalog and noticed that they have welsh harlequins.

8. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    Quote:They actually weigh less than 4 pounds! I could hardly believe it when I weighed them about a month ago. The one drake I have from an unrelated bloodline is more petite, but is actually slightly over 4 pounds. Go figure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by