1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

could putting chicken (poop filled) wood shavings in my plants cause there fruits to be inedible?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by larps1234, Jan 6, 2013.

1. larps1234

larps1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    ?

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    No,

In actuality chicken poop is so high in nitrogen it will burn plants unless left out to compost. As for using the chicken litter too...well, the wood if not composted will leach nitrogen from soil. The bottom line here is to compost. Take your litter and poop to an area you made for composting. I use a free hard wood pallets made from scratch compost bin. If you want just make a pile in corner of yard. Till it once a month and if dry water it much. This will aid in breaking it down to be perfect garden or flower pot additives.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I got lost there and forgot the original question....no still. Chicken poop will not make your plant fruit inedible. As above, it should and must be composted due to excess nitrogen that does burn/kill plants. But in general it's no different than using Moo Poo or some other composted large mammal manure you probably buy but didn't know where it came from. Composted chicken is stronger but with liter will be a free alternative with volume matching the other sources. It's simply that high in nitrogen, great stuff!

5. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    No but it will probably burn them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by