Could rabbits hurt chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken Frenzie, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    I'm getting a rabbit tomorrow.. and you have to let rabbits free range at least 2 hours I've heard.. but we also have 9 chickens (8 hens and 1 over protected rooster) [​IMG] But, I don't want the chickens hurting the rabbit, or the rabbit hurting the chickens. How should I introduce? Should I just keep an eye on the rabbit so she doesn't go near the chickens ? Please help I really don't want my babies to get hurt!

2. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    When my flemish giant is outside, everyone (chickens and turkeys) all come to visit. They are all fine, but she's as big as they are. [​IMG] They visited her when she was smaller too. she's only 6 mo old.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Here's my favorite video of rabbits and chickens interacting:

4. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have 2 bucks that freerange with my flock and they get along fine.....they may chase at each other a little but they do their own thing for the most part.

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Great video - chickens busting up the bunny fight!!! They'd make great bouncers![​IMG]

6. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I let our male rabbit out in the run with my chickens. They're scared to death of him [​IMG]

7. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    My rabbit (FuFu) lives with my chickens and my ducks and they are great with each other. He loves to play in the nest boxes so the hens dont really like him when they need to lay a egg. But other then that they are great together. My old roo was mean and tried to beat him up once, but FuFu truned right around and kicked that roos butt. It was so funny and that roo never was mean again.

Here he is with my RIR Henny Penny
    [​IMG]

8. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    some rabits do attack chickens.. we have wild ones around here and a territorial buck decides one of our roosters is a competition.... he shreds the roo's wattle and comb... needless to say, the dog got some extra treats that night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by