1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could Rose be a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anperrin, Mar 19, 2013.

1. anperrin

anperrin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Barataria, Louisiana
    Rose (EE) will be a year old on the 6th of April, I have her and 3 others hatched the same day. I got my first egg about a month ago and have only recieved 12 eggs total as of today. I'm pretty sure the other three are the ones laying the eggs, as I've gotten three slightly differant shades and shaped eggs and they are the ones going in and out of the nesting boxes. My husband is convenced Rose is not a Rose but really a rooster instead any thoughts ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Deerling

Deerling Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2013
    King County, WA
  3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Looks like a hen to me but a better shot of the tail feathers would tell for sure. Saddle feathers are a dead give away. I will say her comb is much redder than my gals. But then that could just be the pure contrast with the white feathers.

Some birds just don't lay well ever. Just random genetic quirks.

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Hen.

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree, that's a hen.

6. anperrin

anperrin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2013
    Barataria, Louisiana
    Thanks the tail feathers are the same as the other chickens we have.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    She's probably laying similar colored eggs as the others, and they are trading off on days that they lay. Her comb indicate a hen in laying condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by