Could Russell Crowe have gotten in to the Chickenrium???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rachel'sFlock, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

As everyone here, I have stalked my chooks on a daily basis since they were 16 weeks (they turned 18 weeks on Sat.). Their faces have gotten redder and for the most part have all matured in precisely the same way.
    Lately, tho, I have been eyeing one in particular, because their comb and waddles have been somewhat larger, from the beginning. I have just assumed this was a sign of an earlier maturer, so I have been pinning my "first egg" hopes on her.
    However, the past few days, when I pet the girls, they have squatted right down, as if they have been ...seeing someone they care deeply for...
    Is this a sign of maturity that all girls develop, even in an all-girl environment? Or is this evidence of having been mounted by a roo?

I am attaching pics of the friend in question, as well as another for comparison.
    We would be absolutely delighted if Mathilda does turn out to be Russell Crowe, after all, because we would love to raise more chooks, and our flock is very close. I have worried about having to introduce a new roo to the group, not having grown up together.
    Any comments or observations would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Bright Blessings!!!

Closer-Up of the comb in question:
    [​IMG]

A Personality shot (tho this is a very tame, and snuggly bird):
    [​IMG]

My little "squatter":
    [​IMG]

2. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Hmm....seems to me that, judging by the age, the one the the first two pictures is a hen just starting to lay. Notice that she doesn't have any rooster tail, saddle, or hackle feathers. The chicken in the third picture could be a rooster, but also looks like a hen.

3. Rachel'sFlock

Thank you, Yazzo, I have been inspecting the tail feathers as well, and the tails all look exactly the same to me.
    Any thoughts on the pet and squat manuever; I mean, do girls who don't have a roo exhibit this same behavior?
    Thanks again!

4. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    No prob. [​IMG]

Well, it depends on HOW they squat. Sounds like the are doing the 'rooster squat' though, which some hens will do more than others, and probably more if you don't have a rooster with them. [​IMG]
    They will do it even if there is a rooster though.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. Rachel'sFlock

ahhh, Yazzo. I think I get it, now!
    Thanks again!

6. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    I have hens of various ages and have never had a roo, some girls will squat and some run away. I think it's the tamest ones that squat while the girls with attitude don't.

7. BloominOrchid

BloominOrchid Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Worcester Township
    she looks like a hen to me...
    my POL hens all squat when you go to pick them up.
    I think you have some hens getting ready to lay eggs!

8. Rachel'sFlock

thanks to mammabigbird and bloominorchid for the tips. Esp the part about having chooks who look ready to lay! We are every bit as stalker-ish, around here, as everyone Waiting the Impossible Wait!
    cannot wait to gather some eggs!!!

9. Rachel'sFlock

ok, now I realize I have taken the stalking thing to a whole new category of personal-space-invasion, but I have had a peek at everybody's fluffy bums, and they all have identical vents, some even very damp.
    Surely this is proof of them all being girls??? Oh, and they all squat, now, except for Mathilda, who is just not having any of it. She does have her very own damp vent, tho.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    She's a girl and going to give you an egg soon! She would have saddle feathers by now if she were a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by