Could she be a he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Wdchickens, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Wdchickens

Wdchickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2013
    [​IMG]
    So, we got three of our flock at about 10 weeks old or so. Then we got two slightly older ones. One of the older ones grew a big comb and waddles and started crowing. So we know he is a rooster obviously. We assumed the other 4 were hens, and the one slightly older one just began laying :D. Of the little 3, one is beginning to grow a comb. I know nothing of chickens or breeds as I am a newbie. So the one in question is the spotted brown and white one. Here's a pic, what do you guys think? Roo or hen? I hope hen because we didn't want a rooster to begin with, and we certainly can't keep two...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm thinking rooster. How old is the bird? and can you get a closer, clear profile shot? I can't see the saddle feather area well.

3. Wdchickens

Dec 25, 2013
    My guess would be around 18 weeks old. I'll go see if I can get a better pic. He/she is very skittish.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Roosters have WATTLES .......

5. Wdchickens

Dec 25, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well I apologize about pic quality. I took them with my iPad and its not real bright out. Digi cam is broken. But at least it's a better angle I hope.

6. Wdchickens

Dec 25, 2013

Well thank you for correcting me... so far this bird has no WATTLES

7. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

:)

8. barbschickens

barbschickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2014
    I'm thinking it could be a rooster. Although,hens do have combs,but they are quite a bit smaller than the rooster's. I think you should wait until you get further evidence such as crowing. :)

9. Wdchickens

Dec 25, 2013
    Yeah... My gut feeling is rooster, but I will hold out hope and wait and see. I'd hate to have to get rid of one. But I don't think 3 hens and two cockerels would be a good situation. My large rooster is very timid of me, and doesn't bother the other birds, but this one just has such a cool look. Anyone have any thoughts on what breeds may be in the pics? I know it's hard to see much though.

10. KieksterChicken

KieksterChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    Florida
    Well, from the pictures it's difficult to tell if the bird in question has wattles. Some breeds of chicken have little to no wattles that are difficult to see even with their roosters. Closer up pics would help but that chicken doesn't look like it will cooperate. Better pictures and an age would really help confirm roo or pullet. [​IMG] Your black roo looks to be an Andalusian maybe?. Your light brown hen with darker red neck feathers looks to be a Production Red. The other black hen .. have no idea as she is either facing away from the camera or hiding in all the pictures. She must be camera shy.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by