could she be an Amber star hybred?

oesdog

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Ireland
This is our 12 week old pullet!

It would be great to get some feed back on this little one. She was from a rare breed farm they found her out of the nest at about a day old and so didn't know which hen she belonged to. I just found a pic that looks a bit like her and it is an adult amber star???? It is below and you can clearly see the amber coloured lacing starting to come through on our little pullet? Could she be an Amber star???

out%20amber%20star%20chicken%20cappacino.JPG

Oes

Last edited:
They have quite a few different breeds and they use them mostly to sit rare breed duck eggs ! So the chickens there are not rare in that respect just lots of different breeds. That is why they didn't know what pen this one came from as it was just a day old chick they found on the ground.

Oes

Well, than she could be a mix.

Thats the thing usually the hens are in pens so are devided off and have their own rooster. This little one somehow got out of a pen and was on the ground but as there were lots of chicks that age and colour she was just lifted and dumped in the incubator - then we came looking for a day old chick to go with our one survivor which should have been a Silver grey Dorkings - but then it died so we were again left with one only this is not a dorking so I guess it is the chick from the farm! It does look like the Amber star Hybrid? If she was at least I would have a name for her? lol
Maybe a rooster got out? And had his wicked way with a hen from a different pen?
Oes

Last edited:
If I was a farmer who just used chickens to sit my duck eggs, I wouldn't be at all particular about dividing the chickens by breed. I agree that this girlie is most likely a mix. I would guess some game in her ancestry, since game hens make very good mothers.

What you're not hearing is that the Amber links are bred by hatcheries, not private breeders. You have a mixed breed hen. Just enjoy her.

What you're not hearing is that the Amber links are bred by hatcheries, not private breeders. You have a mixed breed hen. Just enjoy her.

Got back on to them and they DO breed Amber links / stars! They also have Black links as well? But never heard of either. So it is possible they do have a massive place and they do have seperate runs for their bird breeds. So I guess they deliberately x breed to create them for sale as other hatcheries do.

Oes

Back
Top Bottom