Could she be broody at 20 weeks??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bec, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

A friend of mine has a Favorolle pullet that just started laying about 2-3 weeks ago. Now she hasn't laid in a week and she is sitting on the ground acting like she is on a nest. There are no eggs and she is outside on the ground, not in a nest but acting like she's on a nest. She has only ever laid 2 eggs, 1 was in the nest , the next one was out on the ground.

What is she doing???

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That seems like unusual behavior. My broody hen was always in the nest boxes........She was just obsessed with them. I think, if I was you friend, I would pick up the hen and examine her.....there might be a problem...maybe she is egg bound?

My broody hen would also make fussy noises when I approached her, and she also plucked her underbelly bare, so that her skin could be in contact with the eggs.......Poor dear, we didn't have a rooster so all her hard work was for nothing.....I had to collect the eggs daily.

Now, I suppose she could be broody, but not in a nest.....but you would think she would still be sitting on an egg at least.........

Good luck to your friend! I hope nothing is wrong.

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

If she examines her, what should she look for if she is possibly egg bound? She said she does "yell" at her when she approaches her on the ground. She is eating, drinking and roosting, but during the day she is on the ground acting like she is on the nest. When she yells, it is LOUD, sounding like she means it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by