could she be broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ilovemychook24, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ilovemychook24

ilovemychook24 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    my beautiful silkie mix looks to maybe be going broody [​IMG]
    but i want your opinon as i havent had chickens for very long (about a year and a bit)
    here are the clues im gathering:
    ~ this morning (about 10:00) i opened up the cage, both her (millie) and another hen (honey) decided to lay on some eggs, after about one hour of sitting honey got off she had finished laying her egg, but millie continued to sit, millie has been sitting for about 3 hours and she doesnt look like she is about to get up
    ~ she stopped laying eggs about a week ago and she just gets in the nest boxes to sit on the eggs not to lay
    ~ she always hangs around the pen instead of wandereing with the freerangers

broody? [​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Michele,

you do have some signs of broodiness there--- sitting on eggs and not laying. Post back when you know for sure.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Is she sleeping in the nest box at night as well? Does she get all ruffled up when you remove her from the box and then march right back in?

4. ilovemychook24

May 18, 2011
    well this week this got off them sometimes but i think its because our sheep sometimes barge into the ppen and i think she got startled
    but today she is sitting for ages!
    yes she does go and sit on them at night, all night
    i dont want to try and pick her up because she is actually our unfriendliest hen, we actually saved her from abusive owners and she doesnt like being touched but she doesnt mind human company, but i'm scared if i touch her she'll be spooked and run off and discontinue to sit, wether broody or not
    but i could try [​IMG]

5. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Sure sounds broody! Are you happy about that?

I don't have much experience with it. My BO went broody, there was no mistaking it, but I was able to break her of it in just a few days.

6. ilovemychook24

May 18, 2011
    i am extremely happy! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    thankyouu!! [​IMG]

i had a big incident happen this year that took alot of my flock and i'm focusing on re-building it naturally [​IMG]

gee thats pretty lucky that you could break her easy, some hens just dont give up, but some are willing to let go

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by