could she be just crazy..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Evelle, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i think this is where this belongs..
    ALRIGHT!!! so i have a Rhode island Red that goes by the sutited name CRAZY!! she is one of 8 Rhode island red that i have..
    she is about 9 months old seems pretty healthy.. one thing... she throws fits.. like acually goes crazy..
    she will thrash around, run in circals stops lays down runs around stops lays down, flops her head around, bocks really loud and goes completly mental.. now shes normally fine couldnt tell her the differance between her and the others.... until feeding time.. i noticed when skip a feeding (they free range so i really DONT need to feed them twice but sometimes i do) she does this.
    now my qestion is can chickens be diebetic?? she acts like she goes into hyperglicemic shock when she carffs down food..
    i should tape her is acually is quite funny at times..
    she is perfictly normal except this one thing..
    any ideas..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    i didnt mention that after about an hour of her throwing her fit she goes stright back to normal like nothing happened and she didnt just run around for hour on end..

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Never read anything quite like this. I don't think diabetes is it since she eats all day as a free ranger. Sounds neurological, but undetermined what could bring on a neuro reaction, except for excitement.

4. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    thats what i was thinking it was at first..
    was a nurological thing like she got stepped on by my goat or just hatched with it.
    i also for got it usally on wednesday when i coop them up all day because i have to run to town those days and i usally feed them when i get back..
    so i just thought because its when she hasnt had anything until 2 or 3 then those days so when she goes and eats she runs and gobbles up so much food then the thrashing begins..
    its... haha well.... crazy.
    i had a cat that was diebetic and if it was a hot day she would stay under the cold bed until it cooled down to come eat and thats when she would have problems... thats why i was thinking it was diebetes but ive never heard of it eather..

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  5. Evelle

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    has anyone hear of diabetic chickens??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by