Could she be molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by staceyl, Jan 22, 2010.

1. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    I have a BO. Around Christmas she has some sort of leg/hip injury. She stayed in the coop several days then limped for another week, but she seems to have healed up fine. However, I don't think she has laid since (hard to tell for sure since I have 2 that lay nearly identical eggs). Her comb is pale and I'm finding her feathers all over the coop and yard. However, she is less than 1 year old and she doesn't appear to have any bald spots, so I'm wondering if it really is molting? Can they molt this early?
    Stacey

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Yes, they can and do molt at this age, and mine also seem to choose the colder months to molt. The shorter daylight hours in fall/winter also causes reduced egg production.

3. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Now I feel stupid, because I see lots of posts down below talking about 8 and 9 month old chickens molting. So that must be what it is and I won't worry about it.

4. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Don't feel stupid Stacey! A lot of first-time chicken owners wonder about this because the "book" and "experience" on when chickens first molt often disagree. And it just proves that chickens can't read...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by