1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could she be molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by raisinemright, Nov 14, 2013.

1. raisinemright

raisinemright Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2013
    Quick question. I have 6 golden comets and have not gotten 6 eggs yet. I was wondering if one of my hens could be molting? I think she has a shrunk comb but seems to be healthy and in good spirits! Please any input would be great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of what all my other girls comb looks like
    [​IMG]

2. YlwBrchHobbyFrm

YlwBrchHobbyFrm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2013
    Minnesota
    Chickens do not tend to experience their first molt until approx. 18 months of age on average.

Perhaps she is just a little slower in her development than the rest :)

3. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    Ok thanks, these girls will only be 1yr in December.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How long have you had them? Moving them to a new environment will halt egg production. They will probably molt this winter, but I don't see anything indicating that they are molting yet. Some of my hens will stop laying a week before you see feathers coming off of them, so it's possible she's preparing to molt.

5. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    we have had them for a few weeks now. they seem to have settled in well. I was just curious because we only get five eggs max and her comb was a bit more shrunken than the others. thanks for the reply.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    From what I've read, with 6 laying hens it's not common to get 6 eggs on the same day.
    Some folks say it'll never happen.
    I have 5 layers and have gotten 5 eggs only 4 times in the about 60 days I've had them.
    Usually I get 3-4 (more recently only 2-3) but that's with some molting going on and the fact that I got them during the shortening days season.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  7. raisinemright

Nov 2, 2013
    most have had to just start talking about her lol today I had all six eggs, five in the nesting box and one in a corner of the coop.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    LOL I got all five the day I read it would never happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by