Could she be trying to go Broody?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickencrazy999, Jan 27, 2014.

1. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello I was just wondering if one of my hens was trying to go broody and what the stages where before they sat well every day now its been about 3 weeks after she started laying before she is about 1 year and 7 months old now and she had gone broody last year but the people who I bought her and her sister said she did not let her hatch any chicks so I would be great to have some chicks this summer she is a brahma bantam and lays little cream banty eggs so lately she has been staying in the nest a lot and squawking for about 2 and a half hours then she would get off after she had layed her egg then when I came out to get the eggs this afternoon she was out making low squawking noises but happily went on to the roost also I noticed either she or one of the silkies had pulled out a few feathers in the nest but I am guessing its her so my question is could she be starting to go broody? I have taken the hybrid eggs out and left about 6 banty eggs in the nest I am going to go out early tomorrow and check and she what is happening Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Davey G

Davey G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2014
    Well I don't know but the first thing I would do is look to see if she is losing breast feathers. If so I would try to keep her away from the other hens but still in the same coop.

3. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Oh ok yes I did look earlier and I thought I could see a few that had gone but nothing major so I will properly see how she is tomorrow

4. Davey G

Jan 10, 2014
    If she doesn't have any missing than wait a few days and look again.[​IMG]

5. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Ok thanks for your advice

6. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Update: Ok I decided to just pop up there tonight to turn there lamp off and she was on the roosting bar I checked her once more and she had a bald patch on her breast where she had plucked her feathers Hmm...

7. Davey G

Jan 10, 2014
    Well then if she had a bald spot then try to locate the nest she uses and don't take any eggs from it unless they're from a different chicken.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by