COULD SHE HAVE A SOUR OR IMPACTED CROP?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deidreschultz, Oct 23, 2013.

1. deidreschultz

deidreschultz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    Hen has wet pox tomorrow will be 2 weeks that she's had it. Her crop hasn't been emptying for several days now. At first it was a soft lump in her crop, and it had a sour smell so I stopped using pediasure to mix w/ her food. I thought maybe it was going bad from sitting in her crop. The smell is gone but crop still isn't empty, and now the lump is firm. When I fed her at 5:30 this morning I just gave her water w/ Olive Oil, vit/elect powder & pro biotic it was about 10cc. Almost 15 hrs later the crop isn't empty. It's about the same size as before I gave her the liquids this am. I turned upside down & massaged the lump as that's what the posts said to do w/ sour crop. Nothing came out. We are so close to beating this I just can't see losing her now. I finally have one eye totally clear, and hopefully the other in a couple days. There's no more plague in her mouth. We're on the home stretch I just know it. I just don't know what to do now. She just CAN'T afford to miss any meals again she's just a bone and very weak. So do I continue w/ just water mixture or baby bird food or just pediasure? Anyone have any thoughts as to what I should do now? Oh I saw someone post that they monistat to treat sour crop. Should I try that? Thanks

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    One person on here, Casportpony has been treating many of her birds for wet pox. She posted that a few developed sour crop, and she treated them as an experiment with fluconozole or diflucan which is a prescription 1 treatment oral yeast infection treatment. It sells in Canada over the counter and online under the name Caneoral. She said it worked successfully.

3. deidreschultz

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    Thanks, But it's too late. This morning she's laying on her side and barely breathing. I didn't know what else to do I knew she was weak, so I gave her pediasure mixed w/ olive oil & pro biotics. This morning nothing has emptied. I'm just going to take her to the vet and let them put her to rest. I hate I really thought we're going to beat it, but no such luck. Thanks again for the reply

4. tomhoogstra

tomhoogstra Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2012
    You don't have to, My chicken had similar symptoms, So I fed her live yogurt with a syringe and she recovered within the week.

5. deidreschultz

May 27, 2009
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm giving her probios powder is it not the same cultures that are in yogurt? I'm not being a smart behind I just truly don't know.

6. tomhoogstra

tomhoogstra Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2012
    Have you tried making her vomit?
    Tip her upside down and massage her crop, do in intervals so she gets a chance to breathe.
    This will clear our gunk, then try and feed her with syringe, etc.
    Note: force vomitting chickens with sour/impacted crop is generally the first thing people do, like I did with my bird, it isnt necessarily harmful, unless of course the bird aspirates which is unlikely.

Source: http://www.greenmuze.com/blogs/green-muzings/2208-chicken-impacted-crop-or-sour-crop.html
    Scroll down to sour crop, if you are still wary see what a vet has to say about it
    Best of luck

Last resort would be to slit open her crop surgically and removing the gunk, then stitching it together again. (Do some more research before performing)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  7. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If you want to try and save her,start tube feeding asap,then give the fluconozole or diflucon as Eggcessive has suggested.

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I did use fluconazole, but I'm pretty sure that one had a true yeast infection that I created by giving her Baytril. You can also buy it in the US, just search for fluconazole for fish or contact me and I'll send you a PM with the info.

X2, but if she's breathing through her mouth it's probably too late. If she were mine I would tube fluids to her, then fluids mixed with baby bird food - no more oil, yogurt etc., just baby bird food mixed with water.

-Kathy

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by