1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could she have had a heart attack?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by volchick, Nov 1, 2010.

1. volchick

volchick Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2010
    I had a hen that died last night. Yesterday she was fine until the late afternoon when my 6yo accidentally got her wet with the waterhose. She didn't want to move after that and my dd put her in her wagon with some food. She tucked her head under her wing and wouldn't respond to anything anyone did. My dh then tried to put her up on the coop perch and she fell off and went into one of the hen boxes. He said she pooped in the wagon and it was bright lime green. When I checked on her last night she had her feathers ruffed up and seemed cold so I tucked lots of shavings in around her and she seemed to settle. This morning she was dead under the perch.

She hasn't been laying but I figured that was because she was in molt. We just got her in the spring. This has been our first excursion with chickens so we don't know that much, but the people we bought her from said she was at point of lay. I'm not sure what kind she was... we thought maybe a buff orpington, but she was little, smaller than my red star, and I thought orpingtons were big.

I'd say that maybe the cold water from the hose was such a shock that she had a heart attack or something, but I don't know because then she had that strange poo...

2. volchick

May 20, 2010
    bump... Any thoughts?

3. gettinaclue

gettinaclue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Virginia
    I have no idea. My 5 yr old son found my white Jersey Giant in the coop dead last week. She was fine that morning. He came home from school and she was on the floor of the coop. DH went out and got her and she was already stiff. We have no idea what happened to her. We think she had a heart attack as well.

I'm really sorry about your chicken. I hope you find out what happened.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Yes, chickens can have heart attacks from being stressed.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My first thought would be that her death immediately following the dowsing by the hose was purely coincidental, and you certainly shouldn't blame it for her death. Chickens get rained on all the time and suffer no ill effects.

Her lime-green poop signifies she hasn't been eating in a long while, that she had only bile in her intestines.

It could have been a mounting infection of some sort, maybe her first egg was backed up, and that was what killed her. Not a small girl with a wild hose.

7. volchick

May 20, 2010
    I was hoping it wasn't disease, but I guess if it was I can say that at least I don't have many left to lose... We had a flock of 10; then a few weeks ago the neighbor girl came over to play with my dd. After she left I was about to go out and close the chicken coop, but I looked through the kitchen window and saw that my dd had already closed them up. The next morning I went to let them out, opened the back door, and lo and behold, there were four chickens huddled on the back porch! I went to see if the others were in the coop and there was my one "early to bed" girl all alone on the perch. I asked dd about it and found out that apparently the neighbor girl had shut everyone out (she admitted this later). Argh! I have told them time and time again to leave my very chickens and their coop alone. So, I go around looking for the five missing kiddos and find wads of feathers all around our field. Guess the coyotes had an awesome dinner that night... Ugh... got my broody, too:(. So as of today I have only 2 roos and 2 hens. And I really need to ax one of the roos...

8. volchick

May 20, 2010
    Quote:That's what my dh said as well. The only reason I thought it might have been that was because the hose water was freezing cold.

Quote:I've read that, too but it's odd because I've watched her eating, she'd even eaten from my hand earlier that day...

I guess I'm trying not to think that it was because of some kind of disease, but maybe she wasn't molting and was just looking like that because she was sick...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by