Could silkie Roosters be nice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sillychicks123, Oct 12, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I just got a batch of three unsexed smooth silkie bantams, and I'm worried about getting a Roo. Are silkie roos nice/docile? I know the hens are dolls, but are the roos kind too? How are your Roos? Do they like people/attention? Thanks!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heres the little cuties themselves:) Can't wait for their feathers to fully grow in!!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It is all in how you raise them. I know both great and horrible silkie roo's.

3. toritori

toritori Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Saranac Inn, NY
    My husband bought 6 chicks...3 hens and 3 roos. At first we thought we only had one, George. He was pretty docile but we sent him away when a friend had a place for him. Harry and George, on the other hand, were a hand full. They beat up the girls terribly. One or both would bite every time I had to lock their little door, or put food and water in.

Good news though, I was told to establish that you are the alpha chicken as soon as possible. Do this by picking them up and holding them. Pet them and love them and snuggle them. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it actually works. Don't back down with them and be firm. You have to think of yourself as "the Alpha Chicken"...I would tell them this...partialy for them and partialy for me so that I would maintain confidence.

Ultimately, we found Harry and George a new home that had a much larger flock for the boys to "service". Harry bit my four year old in the butt and both hated my husband. If he was anywhere on the property they would crow at him constantly....I mean constantly. We think they thought he was competition for my affection.

I hope I'm not bursting your bubble. But do try the "Alpha Chicken" approach. You would be surprised...they like to snuggle!

4. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Thank you! I sure will!

5. PheasantsFirst

PheasantsFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    Eastern Washington
    My silkie rooster is one of the nicest I've ever had. I rarely think that he is thinking about attacking me. He takes good care of his hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by