1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could some of my brown leghorns be boys?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Debs55, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Debs55

Debs55 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 10 brown leghorns and 10 rhode island reds that are 6 weeks old. while I have noticed that their combs are getting more color I have also notice that 3 or 4 of my brown leghorns are alittle larger than the rest and their combs are much brighter and larger as well as that thing under their chin..( Im not sure what it is called..). I have not noticed anything like this with my rhode island reds. could this mean that they are roosters or are they just growing faster?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Could you get some pictures for us?

3. Debs55

[​IMG][​IMG]

first picture is what the 4 bigger ones look like and the second is what the rest of them look like :)

4. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    those large combed ones are roosters. with brown leghorns you can also tell by colour, as you can see the cockerels have black chests vs the hens salmon chests, so even late blooming cockerels can't hide their colour will give them away.

5. Debs55

ok thank you very much! how can you tell rhode island reds apart? I'm pretty sure all of them are female but just to be sure

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by