Could someone explain this to me?

mrsmaonaigh

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
SE Georgia
I've seen this a couple of times and I'm confused. I've seen people say that they have EE mixes. Is there a difference between an EE and an EE mix? I thought EEs were "mutts" anyway. Make it easy on a poor girl who is just trying to figure out what kind of chickens she has. I love my chickens no matter what but I'd like to call them by the correct term.

7 of my EE chickens have yellow legs. Two are laying blue/green eggs and two are laying pinky brown eggs. Two of my girls who aren't laying yet have the bluish black leg color but they have a partial puff on their head like a Polish (but they are definitely NOT full Polish) and they have a v comb. One is noticeably smaller than the rest yet she is the same age.

I've got plenty of pictures but I'm just trying to figure out what the heck the difference is.

An EE is a mix of who knows what but hopefully there is a blue egg layer in there somewhere. Most have muffs, and beards and are similar looking sorta to Ameraucaunas (story for another day).

I have EE's and Araucanas. When I cross them I call them Araucana EE cross to show the part of the mix that I know. I assume that other people do the same. If they buy EE's and cross them within their own flock, they would maybe call them an EE cross.

Its a very confusing subject.

Lanae

I also have polish EE cross and they have black legs v comb but they lay blue eggs. It was my first attempt at incubation so I just grabbed eggs I had. I don't like the cross because the birds a super flight and crazy. Georgous birds. They have the EE body shape, color and top hat of the polish and lay the EE blue eggs.

I also have a polish Araucana cross which would technically be an EE, but I think it is easier to call them by Polish Araucana cross cause that is the two breeds that make them. Again they lay blue eggs and are crazy so not a happy cross.

Lanae

It is confusing. I don't know that there is any EE police running around fining or jailing people who don't follow any specific naming convention, although some Ameraucana breeders can be quite stern as they try to educate people in the difference in Ameraucana and EE's. With the hatcheries spreading false information, I think they have a hopeless task, but give them credit for trying.

This link may help some, but I don't think it is that definitive. Easter Eggers are a type, not a breed, so the requirements are not as strict. To me, any chicken that has the blue egg gene, regardless of what color egg they lay, is an Easter Egger unless they meet they meet the requirements of Ameraucana or Araucana. It would be nice if they had the pea comb and green legs, but that is not required.

http://www.eastereggers.com/

EE's are mixes of a blue egg layer & brown layer. They are not pur & are mutts. They usually use ameraucanas or araucanas which have the blue gene to cross with the brown layers. If your amraucana sold to us as that lays green, brown or pink eggs it's really an Easter Egger which is sold as ameraucanas at hatcheries. The EE's can have any color legs cause they are mutts.
if you cross and ee with something it will still be an EE not an ee/ whatever..............all mutts! never the less great birds, great eggs & i have some. My true ameraucanas ONLY lay blue eggs & you only have have a pure one if you get it from a breeder. There is a thread on here about the differences of them............search it, total good reading.

found it https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128806

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom