Could someone explain this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mommysongbird, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I just went out to the coop and I found these:

[​IMG]

One is green/olive and the other is blue except for where some water dripped on it, it is green/olive also.

Why is it blue??? And who laid it?? We have never gotten one that looks like this, so I am stumped. We only have 4 pullets and they are nearly 30 weeks old. They all have Araucana in them, but not sure what the other breed(s) are.

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Could it be the other way around?

An olive egg is a blue egg shell with a dark brown bloom. Maybe the brown splotch is actually where the water DID NOT drip onto it, and it washed away the rest of the bloom.

Or, your hen just had some communication problems in her bloom department and messed up.

3. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:[​IMG] I don't know what it is, but I like the 'communication problem' comment. [​IMG]

No, where the 'water' sploch is is a TRUE water sploch. It rained last night and I had some drops of water on my finger when I opened the egg door and it dripped onto the egg when I picked it up.

I don't have an explination for it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    Could it be that one of your girls just started laying? 30 weeks isn't that old. If they all have the araucana gene, it could be that it's just expressing more in one of your girls than in the rest (the same way I have brown hair, but two of my sisters are blond). Even if they have the same mother and father, they won't necessarily be genetically identical. The real test will be whether you get a blue egg regularly from now on.

5. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    it looks like it could be an egg laid before the shell was complete. Is it rough to the touch? They can have a different color this way. the inside color of the egg is bluer than the outside.

6. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:No, they have all been laying for several weeks, since about mid September I believe. They are actually 28 - 29 weeks old.

I will be waiting to see what happens tomorrow. One of our girls was laying pink eggs, but she went broody a few weeks ago and has not layed in several weeks (I have another thread on that issue) but the other 3 have been laying pretty regularly.

7. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:It is as smooth as all the other eggs. No roughness. We had an olive one layed a few weeks back that was rippled, but not blue, def. olive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by