1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could someone help me figure out the sex?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sgrubbs89, Jan 12, 2016.

1. sgrubbs89

sgrubbs89 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    [​IMG]When I purchased them they were said to be 2 weeks old. That'd would make them around 17 weeks old. I still can't figure out how to tell the gender. Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. sgrubbs89

Sep 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yep, pictures would help. Pointy hackle and saddle feathers should be developing along with flowing tail coverlets and feathers.

If they are cockerels, that is - big duh on me.

4. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    The closest one looks like a girl. The one in back is hard to tell with its neck feathers up.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The bird in the back looks like a silver laced Wyandotte. The bird in front has a lot of Wyandotte in her, but I'm not sure if she's mixed or just has very poor/incomplete lacing. Sure gives her a unique look [​IMG]

6. sgrubbs89

Sep 21, 2015
    Okay, finally got a picture up. I have 4. They all pretty much look the same except the RIR is much "thinner" than the others. See I originally had 7. I was told I had 4 females and 3 males. One died as a chick and unfortunately a hawk got to two. So I don't know the ratio. Obv if I have less female (or none at all) I'll have to buy more. Always looking for a reason to buy more

7. sgrubbs89

Sep 21, 2015

It was windy out and they do this weird thing where they put all their feathers up lol idk what it's called

8. sgrubbs89

Sep 21, 2015

She must be a mutt [​IMG] This is my first time with chickens so I wasn't sure what I got when I got it. I just picked the cutest fluffiest ones. An older gentleman gave me a tip and told me to pick the biggest ones and not the cute tiny ones. I can't wait to explore and get more.

9. sgrubbs89

Sep 21, 2015
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know this ones breed? Don't mind the fact that s(he)'s on her back. I woke up one morning to her hanging upside down caught in metal. Blood on her leg. I was for sure she was dead. But to my amazement I saw her breathing and shaking. Not knowing what the heck I was doing I figured it wouldn't hurt to take her in and clean her up. So I did. Poor girl wouldn't even open her eyes and just kept shaking. I wrapped a cloth around her cleaned leg.she was cut pretty bad. I kept her in a little crate on my patio separate from the other chickens. Two days later she was up and eating again. With a slight limp. She limped for a few days. Now she's healed and no limp. She is a bit slower than the others though.

10. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Barred rock? Maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by