Could someone help me to figure out my birds genome please?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kurka, Nov 4, 2010.

1. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    I have 2 modern game x silkie x crosses, white leghorns, white bearded polish, white silkie, and white production rhode island whites. and some colored chicks that I bought.

i know polish, riw and leghorns are dominant white. leghorns are carriers for silver [nad riw too, am i right?] - but i have no idea what is under that

i know silkies are recessive white, and under white most commonly is partridge [right?], but what else can be under, and what is complete genetics for silkie colors? [+comb is recessiv and skin color i guess too - but is it one gene or 2 for skin?]

the serious problem i have with figuring out what are my silkie crosses. chicks after them seems to be quail, black and silver but they are only 5 weeks now.. I would love to have a golden chick after them, in chicken calculator that was possible but i'm not sure if i made a real genome cross or a mistaken.[​IMG]
    here are pictures of them:
    before maturnity:
    [​IMG]
    and now:
    [​IMG]
    colour on wings seems to be gold, and some of that gold leaks on neck. so what could he be, silver, birchen, something else? - -
    hen didn't change much, she is moulting now and feathers on neck looks more black patterned, while normally she looks something like brownish, is she ginger or what? - - her down colour is warm grey and she is not pure white it looks more like ivory
    hard thing..

and i have a problem with that little silkie too:
    [​IMG]
    her eyes are brown not black and she is strangely tiny as for 2 month silkie.. and i don't know how to name that colour, is it red od weak buff? some feathers in tail look blackish. And when she was younger her shanks and comb looked greenish instead of blackish [ok but she was sick so that could be the reason of skin colour]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The modern game - Does it have black or white primaries? (black=birchen, white=duckwing) I do see gold in its wing though which signifies it has both gold and silver alleles. The pullet is straight silver though. The pullet looks like a dom white and partridge.

The silkie looks like a buff silkie, perhaps with some normal columbian to make it a normal orange/red color like with New Hampshires and Production Reds.

3. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Primaries are black. So he is birchen.. I still don't understand how he can be both gold and silver. There is no such option in chicken calculator;D I mean, sure he is, but how that will influence his children?[​IMG]
    i'd like to get a golden roo from his offspring somehow..
    i checked some options in this chicken calculator and it seems [looking at chicks] my white silkie roo is not partridge under white, but extended black. strange.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The silkie is really too dark for buff.

e-allele of hte modernXsilkie is probably e+/e^b (I am guessing not E^R due to lack of lacing on breast).

What colour were the modern and silkie parents (and which was cock, which hen)?

Females are either silver or gold; it is a sex-linked gene, and as such, cannot be both. Males, however, can have one copy of silver and another of gold. Since he is showing some gold in several places, he is probably golden (one copy of silver, one of gold). Theoretically silvers do not turn bronze in hte sun; my birds with silver defy that theory and do turn bronze if they get too much sun, and also when they are in and near a molt.

Any and all genes can be hidden by recessive white, which is an OFF switch, preventing pigment.

5. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    woman who sold me the birds gave me pictures of parents, i guess game is the father and mother is silkie:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

do you think both of the silkie x modern are e+/e^b? hen really could turn bronze in sun..

so what can be this little red[?] silkie
    here is pic of her[?] when she arrived to me:
    [​IMG]
    some time later:
    [​IMG]

and back view now:
    [​IMG]

by the way: is this lavender? and if i breed him to white hen, would this improve thos red highlights on neck?
    [​IMG] red on neck, lots of darker spots on body, is it lavender, just poor quality or not lavender at all?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    THe last is a splash showing red. A lavender will not have much variation in colour, and definitely no dark spots or "red." Any red would be diluted to isabel, which is a light straw/tannish colouring.

I don't think that modern is male, and it is definitely birchen. Could be E^R/e+, I suppose. Henk would be able to give a better genotype, or maybe Chris09. I am not positive of the gender of the silkie, although I will not that there is a 2nd buff silkie with it's tail towards the camera.

The silkie had to inherit gold from her father; but she does not appear to be a cross, at least not an F1 cross, as she has silkie feathering. (No reason for saying she, other than that is what you said.)

7. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Thank you very much. Someone told me that cockerel is lavender, [seller told me it is not blue!], but something was wrong to me in that "lavender", especially that red, so now i know what..
    this one and the little red are from the one seller, and silkie xgame from another. I thikn little red is a pullet because it acts so, but of course i can be wrong. so you think it carries gold? or is it impossible for "her" to be female with that colouring?

i dont know what is the gender of the parents of my silkiexgame crosses because it is extremly hard to me to tell from that pictures.

now i think how to match them [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The red is definitely gold; can't have that much red and not be.

No reason it cannot be female: there are female RIR, NHR, buff orpingtons, silkies, rocks and many other breeds. What it cannot do is inherit gold from its mother, but it certainly can from its father.

Based upon the photo, I cannot say that the light blue bird is not lavender, but from your description, it cannot be pure for lavender. It could have one copy, or be from a lavender to ? breeding. Many silkie breeders do not understand that a bird is not lavender unless it has two copies of the gene, and that there is no way to tell a bird with no copies of the lavender gene from one with one copy: there is no visual distinction.

9. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    It may be that the "parents" photos shows the birds that were _supposed_ to be parents. if game is hen, and there were more silkie roosters i guess they didn't knew who the father is, just that it is a silkie.

i think that blue boy is really splash, some people thinks they _breed_ animals just by letting them to match freely and know nothing about colours and genetics. i asked that breeder who the parents are and he told me that he don't know because he has lots of chicks then [all from natural hatch]. he told me that birds are healthy too, but they were not. and that this is not blue, but i guess for him splash is not blue. he talked about him "grey" but i know that it is not grey in the recognizing the colour meaning. he has on sale a light uniform blue bird, dark blue, black, and one strange off-colored black, something like white near the beak.. those birds are really good lesson to me, in many aspects.

10. kurka

kurka Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    -deleting repeated post.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by