Could someone help me with these 3 ...needing their breeds....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rhonda0115, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Rhonda0115

Rhonda0115 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Hi Rhonda00515 and [​IMG]

Could you give us a little more background on these cuties? Are they from a hatchery or did you hatch them yourself?

Not sure if I can help because these are guesses.

The first one looks like it has white feet and was a chipmunk chick. Can't see the comb but I am guessing Speckled Sussex based on those two things.

Second I see a straight comb, yellow legs and a dark yellow chick growing reddish feathers, so I am thinking a production red or RIR (Rhode Island Red) but I have no personal experience with those breeds so is amy be something else.

Three-I will have to think about, nothing specific jumps out right now.

I am also thinking roos--were they extra chicks from a hatchery?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. Rhonda0115

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    Got them from a hatchery as part of a Heavy Breed package. They are about 3-4 weeks old now. All are cockerels. I love the coloring on these guys and am thinking about keeping them but kind of wanted to figure out breed to know what kinds of temperament, etc. might happen.

Thank you for helping me out.

4. Rhonda0115

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    What does chipmunk chick mean? [​IMG]

5. dretd

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    There are many breeds of chickens that have babies that have a brown "v" on the top of the head that continues with a dark brown stripe running down their back. There have various degrees of eye liner or sometimes splotchiness to the brown patterning on the head to help figure out what breed it is. The are called chipmunk because they resemble chipmunks.

Welsummers and Speckled Sussex are two varieties of chickens that have chipmunk patterned chicks.
    [​IMG]

The one on the left is a Welsummer and the one next to it is an Easter Egger. EEs are another common chipmunk type chick but their head stripes are commonly less distinct or splotchier. If you note mine above, it has a puffy cheek that will grow in to a muff later on.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  6. dretd

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    If you tell us which hatchery they came from I can look at the list of birds they have--it might help figure out the last one.

If you are studious, you can go to feathersite and look at all of their chick pictures and see if one matches your boys: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBabyChicks.html

7. Kassyc88

Kassyc88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    I have 3 chicks just like your last one that has the lighter feathers, and I cannot figure out which breed they are!! Mine came from mcmurray in the brown egg layer order. I cannot find any pics to identify them! The yellow chipmunk look throws it all off!! When you find out let me know!!

8. Kassyc88

Kassyc88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    Oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    Here is a pic of one of mine! She has the lighter feathering.

9. Rhonda0115

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    Oh wow! Thank you for the explanation and photo! I have always hatched eggs for my school in the past but knew what the chicks would be. Last year, I decided to start raising my own chickens. I ordered brown egg layers from McMurray and LOVED the assortment I received. It was pretty easy to tell what breed I had after they got their feathers. My girls have been so faithful in laying eggs (even through a blizzard). They live with my Pekins and everyone gets along just fine. I have another 15 pullets coming later in April and can't wait to see them.

This group came from McMurray and are from their Heavy Breed Assortment. I am planning on making butchering them as they come of size. This is from Mc Murray website: Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks; Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star.

10. Rhonda0115

Mar 22, 2013
    Central Missouri
    That's just like mine. He's really pretty and fairly friendly (hops on my hand when I am cleaning out the pen).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by