Could someone please help me sex my chickens.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by smallbluejellybean, Aug 18, 2013.

1. smallbluejellybean

smallbluejellybean Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Here is a photo of them. They are all around 16-18 weeks old.

[​IMG]
    The RIR has just got all its feathers on its neck and has always been the smallest, but from the size of the feet, I think he or she will be the biggest. The New Hampshire is the biggest so far and the Blackstar has little red wattles coming in. The lady we bought them from said they are all females.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated. They are all making chicken noises. No crowing at all, but no eggs yet either.
    I am sorry. Even though I had pullets before. I never got them this young. I breed king quail and they are easy to sex and mature quicker.

2. sarah2202

sarah2202 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    they all look like girls to me [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    I really hope so. I don't think my neighbours could stand a rooster.

4. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    The lady I bought them from said RIR's are slower to mature. Is this really true or was the RIR younger than the other two?

5. sarah2202

sarah2202 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2013
    I think that could be true about the RIR's as I have three that are cross breed's and they are the same age as other chickens I have but they are maybe two thirds the size of the other chickens. Mine are 9 weeks old and still have their neck fluff.

1 person likes this.
  6. smallbluejellybean

Dec 13, 2009
    Kings Park NSW Australia
    Thanks Sarah,
    Now I am just wondering when they will lay. They eat just about anything. Every time I go to the aviary to feed my quails and canaries or go to feed the guinea pigs they are at my heels begging. They fight with my dog over scraps now and my poor dog looses most of the time. They have put our cat in his place weeks ago. It's been so much fun, watching them grow and change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by