Could Sylvia be Simon? Cochin help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by fowl weathered friend, Apr 17, 2009.

1. fowl weathered friend

fowl weathered friend Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok, I have a Cochin baby at about 4-5 weeks old and I just noticed that she has little wattles coming in. They're very small, fairly red, and she has a tiny comb. The comb doesn't have any colouring yet--not a hint of red--but I'm thinking she's a boy...

I know pics would help (duh) but the darn bird won't stay still long enough for me to get pics of her(?) comb/mini-wattles/etc! I was trying for almost an hour and gave up. She's a flapper and wiggler and fusses if she's away from the other chick.

Does anyone have any pullet and roo Cochin photos at about tis age range and slightly older that I could compare her too?
    It'd be helpful to know what to look out for.
    In the meantime I'm going to keep trying for a pic, but they're all blurry.
    I think she knows if she's a He then she'll have to go and is sabotaging my efforts.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  2. chookook

chookook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    [​IMG]
    Methinks this one is a little man. He's a buff cochin cross at about five weeks old. Hope it helps [​IMG]

3. fowl weathered friend

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok: I managed a few pics:
    [​IMG]

EE Adrianne is in this pic with her/him whatever
    [​IMG]

She's a roo isn't she? feedback please!
    Maybe the local hatchery wil take her back, or engage in a trade.
    She's/He's going to be gorgeous though: standard size Cochin

4. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    It is pretty hard to tell, but it looks girly to me. My cochin roo's combs turned super red at about 5 1/2-6 weeks old. My pullets have a tiny comb too, but they are yellowish and pink wattles like your's.

5. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Here's one of my male cochins, a bantam, at 17 days old. See how red his comb already was? I'm thinking yours is a girl...
    [​IMG]

6. fowl weathered friend

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Thanks for all your feedback! I'll keep an eye on her (fingers crossed) and let you know how it turns out! Glad to hear someone else out there has a Cochin pullet with pink wattles!

7. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    I think it is a pullet. My little cochin roos combs are much more prominent.

8. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    My Bantam Cochins are exactly the same age, with little pink/reddish wattles and yellow combs. Good to know that everyone thinks thats a girl.

I was a little worried but I have a roo the same age and well talk about a big difference.

I will be getting pics on Monday I can post to show the difference if interested.

9. fowl weathered friend

Oct 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    I would ove to see pics! It'd be reassuring to know I can keep calling her Sylvia! She's bossy compared to my EE chick but I hope that's just a sign that she's an independant lady.
    Thanks again for all of your help!

10. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Well, here is a couple of my girls, posted about this one to make sure she was...
    Baby...[​IMG]

Gizmo...[​IMG]

Crystal...[​IMG]

Here is my roo...
    [​IMG]

You can see the difference between the roo and the girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by