Could the broody have murdered poor Rocky?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Squeaky, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I just found Rocky, dead, next to the broody hen in the nest the broody's taken over. I know broodies aren't known for playing nice, but is this a sign of foul (fowl?) play? Can a broody actually murder an adult chicken?

Rocky, a hen, was the second bird and outranked the broody. I don't know whether her death had something to do with this big storm, or what. She was in perfect health and had laid an egg this morning.

2. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    I'm afraid I have no answer, my Broody Gals have never done anything like this. I just wanted to say I'm so sorry you've lost Rocky :-(

Michelle

3. basicliving

basicliving Keepin' the sunny side up

Mar 20, 2008
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I'm so sorry you lost Rocky [​IMG] I've never heard of a broody murdering another hen. Were there any marks on Rocky at all?

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    How old was Rocky? I doubt your broody murdered her or you'd probably be able to tell. She may have had a heart attack but only a necropsy will tell. I had one die suddenly at 1 year and I took her for a necropsy. She died from her liver hemmoraging which I have since learned can be caused when they are too fat and they said she was! [​IMG] So sorry about Rocky. [​IMG]

5. Squeaky

Squeaky I squeak, therefore I am

Jul 5, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi,

Rocky would have been a year old in June. She seems very young to have had a heart attack, and she's never been plump. However, today there was a big storm with lightning and thunder, and that may have freaked her out or knocked her off her perch. Or it's imaginable that she picked up a piece of glass or something. It looked almost as though she crawled into the nest to snuggle or something. She was under Nessarose's wing. There wasn't a scratch on her and her eyes were closed.

I wouldn't want to suspect my poor little broody Nessarose of murder.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Actually, from what I've read on here, when they first start laying is one of the times when they are most likely to have a heart attack. Age isn't an issue like in humans. I just love the names you gave your girls. I hope you get a Rocky II soon. Poor Rocky. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by