could the heat effect the brooding process?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ivoryhoof farm, May 18, 2008.

1. ivoryhoof farm

ivoryhoof farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    PHX, AZ
    This is our first expirience with chicks! The first chick hatched, about 2 days early and 2 are pipping so far. Florence is sitting on them taking great care of them.
    We have 3 other hens due all in about a week. It was hot today our coop was warm inside and we had flood irrigation in our yard a few days ago so our humidity is slightly higher than normal but the temp was about 103 today, they were all panting, we gave the girls fresh water and some fruit. Normally they are free range so they find water lay in and keep cool and we have lots of shade besides there food and water. Should they get anything else?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I hope they're all doing ok, I have a broody hen that's been panting in her nest box cause its been so hot.

I have just been making sure her water is clean and fresh, and feeding her treats like sunflower seeds, rice and fruit.

I have been taking a cup of water to her every day (in addition to her water container) I hold the cup out to her so she can drink while still sitting on her nest.

She seems to be ok, but we've not been as hot as 103!!

3. ivoryhoof farm

ivoryhoof farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    PHX, AZ
    We went from 113 degrees to cold and rain, 55 degrees yesterday! I hooked up a fan to circulate the air, Put a water spray bottle in the coop so every hour or so I run in there and mist the coop. I also opened the hatch opened the front door for ventilation.
    Man they were all panting too! And the temp will be up there again in a week. Hope by then the hens would have all the eggs hatched then they will leave the coop.
    If I keep on having broody hens I'm sure the next step is putting in a screen door and evap cooler...........

Thanks for your support, everywhere I read the concern is the cold, Arizona is the opposite, for now at least!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by