could there be an other reason for soft shelled eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Elly, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I have noticed that a few of my hens have been laying eggs with very soft shells, well they are hard but any slight pressure on the shell and they crack. They are free range with free choice layer feed. They all have access to oster shell and grit. I give them green veg. and fruit when I have it. They are all health...at least act like they are. I have noticed the shells getting softer in my red sex link in the summer, but now notice a few of my other girls are also laying fragile shelled eggs.
    Any ideas?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

The sugar in fruit can interfere with egg production in individuals who adore it...so you need to give oyster shell *with* it so they get enough. Same with pumpkins, I sprinkle some inside the gourd. The bones in the pelvis and legs are called medullary bones that control egg shell formation and these bones need to be fortified with extra calcium above what layer feed gives if you feed treats. Also, bigger hens require more and some hens for no particular reason seem to need more!!! :cool

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  3. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    the fruit they get is min. about once a week a small amount divivded between seven hens. Also they have free access to oster shell, so I don't think that is the problem.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What is your brand of layer pellet? Also when you get a new bag, check to see if there is some at the bottom which will then work its way down into the feed. It has a density of 2 so may settle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by