1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could there be something wrong with 8 month old Marans that hasn't begun laying?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MustangChick, Oct 26, 2016.

1. MustangChick

MustangChick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    I got a batch of 6 chicks from Tractor Supply 8 months ago. All were supposed to be Marans. 4 were. Of those 4, 2 were hens. One of those began laying at about 6 months. The other two hens in the batch (an Australorp cross and a Gold Lace Wyandotte) also started laying at about 6 months. The other Marans hen is now over 8 months and hasn't laid a single egg. The weather is still warm here - in the 80s most days, so I'm clueless. Is there something wrong with her?

2. BurntFeather

BurntFeather Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    Honestly I do not know. I have 24, 8 month old, Marans (silver cuckoo, golden cuckoo, black copper, and white marans) that I have raised since they were a few days old. All but 2 have yet to begin laying and we are starting to get cold here. The two that are laying only do so once every other week. We also have 24 Easter Eggers that are 7 months old and have yet to lay a single egg. While the other groups, all different breeds, but around the same age are laying just fine.

3. MustangChick

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    Well, at least I know she isn't abnormal (perhaps the one that started laying at 6 months is;). All my Silkies that are only 7 months are even laying. Marans must just be slow eggers[​IMG]

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    Well I had another dual purpose breed which started laying at 39 weeks. Then she did ok. Tell you what, go to Tractor Supply and by a small bag of Plotspike Forage Oats. . http://www.plotspike.com Yes, that's a lot but it lasts a long time. Ok, now sprout them and feed 1 cubic inch per bird per day to the birds. It will help bring the hens into lay and help the males produce more robust sperm. Feed sprouts that are 4-7 days old.
    sprouts 1 thru 3 days old are fed as part of the daily ration. They are grain feed. On the 4th day a change takes place in the sprout and they become Greed Feed, helping with point of lay and sperm production. It does not help to feed sprouts older then 7 days. Older than 7 days doesn't help and increases the chance the sprouts will go bad. Good sprouts feel clean and crisp. fresh smelling. Bad sprouts feel slimy and smell foul.
    There are other seeds you can sprout but forage oats are proven over the decades to help bring the hens into lay and help the males produce better sperm.
    How do you sprout them? Just a sec, I'll get you the URL to the BYC thread which explains. Pages 24 thru 29 of this thread.
    "Anyone raise sprout to feed chickens". Esp. page 27 which has sprouting directions n it. ( see URL at top of this post)
    Best,
    Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  5. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    I've heard that Maran can be very slow to mature... do you have a pic?

6. MustangChick

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    I'm so sorry...just noticed this reply on my thread. My hen is now over a year old and think she has laid 1 egg[​IMG] Her "sister" lays almost daily, and has for about 4 months. Here is a pic of Henri, the non-layer. She's the dark one.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Hi

What makes you think she has laid so few eggs?
    Could she be laying a different colour egg to that which you expect? Or could she be laying somewhere other than the nest box(perhaps if they free range)?
    Her eye looks odd, is that just a trick of the light or could she have ocular Marek's.... That might affect her laying ability.

Sorry, more questions than answers. Apart form her eye, she looks in good health and in lay judging by that lovely red comb. Have you examined her abdomen for any swelling which might suggest internal laying? Perhaps examine her vent and pelvic bones for sights of laying. You could put some food colouring on her vent at night and look out for an egg with dye on it the next day....particularly if you are just assuming she lays a certain colour egg. Best not to use red food dye as it may cause the others to peck at her.

These are just a few ideas and possibilities that spring to mind.

Regards

Barbara

8. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Just guessing... the light one in the first pic also isn't giving up any eggs! [​IMG]

Interesting also to note that the Marans you got from TSC are of the non feather legged variety... so American not French.

9. MustangChick

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    True call on the light one[​IMG] And, nope! no feathers afoot. BTW, I also ended up with an australorp and a gold laced wyandotte in my bactch of 6 marans from TSC. It's a crapshoot.

10. MustangChick

Apr 25, 2015
    Mustang, Ok
    It's a good guess that she isn't laying. We only have 4 full sized hens (the others are silkies), and I get 3 eggs a day from those 4-all 3 different colors;) I see the other marans in the nest box nearly every day. I'll check out the ocular Maerk's option. I think it's safe to assume she's not egg bound, since it's been months and she's still vibrant? Thanks for your input!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by