Could these be roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BusyBearMama, Feb 19, 2015.

1. BusyBearMama

BusyBearMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    New York State
    [​IMG]
    This bird is crazy, but I've begun to have my concerns about roosters - nothing bad will happen to them, but I prefer eggs at the moment, noisey, hyperactive, and as you can see getting into things, caught here to be cleaned off... I have no clue how this bird does all it does - 5 month old Easter egger- starting to get some longer tail feathers & this color all over. Not overly tall, somebody is making suspicious noises, other contenders are
    [​IMG] not super friendly, I posted with questions about this one before, thinking possibly an olive egger, all brown with this head basically and I think you can see the feet by the little pen- freezing here this week -11 brr - getting a big black tail
    Or
    [​IMG]
    Friendly, possibly pure ameraucana? Ish lol no tail - quite tall
    Maybe
    [​IMG] next to no comb, is pretty friendly - tall- starting to get a black tail

Sorry the pictures aren't super but they wouldn't hold still unless I was holding them.

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    The first one I'm not sure about, the second one is a rooster, the third and fourth look like pullets.

3. Sunshine0235

Sunshine0235 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Lebanon Ohio
    Picture of them standing naturally from the side will help a lot

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I agree.

X2.

5. BusyBearMama

Apr 25, 2014
    New York State
    I will try again for the standing picks :) I couldn't get their combs with them standing, they're so active. Do you all think the second is a rooster because of the comb or something else too?

6. BusyBearMama

Apr 25, 2014
    New York State
    [​IMG]
    Best I could get on this one
    The rest were sleeping in a pile of hens but then this one stood up
    [​IMG] best I could do it seems right now, they're happy to be in the heated pen in a fresh bale of hay, the big combed one rolled over and kicked the black one because they don't want that one near them. Its fiercely defensive of them and if they get held by people or step out of line they sure hear about it :-/ should I be hearing real crowing at 5 months if there is a rooster, I'm not familiar enough with ee Roos to be confident here.

7. BusyBearMama

Apr 25, 2014
    New York State
    The black one and big combed ones have iridescent green in their black feathers a bit sometimes that matters and the lightest bird is just over this last few weeks presenting with rusting on the body. This chick took forever to get fully feathered and really picked them
    And was always tallest and is friendly and lays down when you come to pick it up.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

In the first set of pictures, the second one is a cockerel, the rest are pullets.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

10. BusyBearMama

Apr 25, 2014
    New York State
    I hope you're right! I would be very happy to only have one of them a rooster, I'm getting some chicks in march and I'm
    Expecting a few males and honestly I think there is a limit. If the big one is a roo the black one is still his boss too. Very soft and very smart though. [​IMG] big comb by an ee pullet
    [​IMG] running toward me
    [​IMG] tail &
    [​IMG] lightest one, I am mostly sure this one is a pullet but ? [​IMG] her tail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by