1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could these be sex linked?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HenHouse10C, Nov 1, 2015.

1. HenHouse10C

HenHouse10C Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2015
    FL Panhandle
    So this morning, my first time broody hatched 3 of her own eggs. The babies are lavender orpington over black sex link. 2 of the babies are black with white bellies and butts. The other baby is black with a brown face. Would it be possible for a BSL hen to hatch sex link babies? I checked their wing feathers and according to that they are all pullets. I raised both mama and daddy from day-olds and he was very slow to feather, and she feathered super fast. Here's some pictures, maybe someone can help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    No, the chicks are not sex linked - additionally, the wing feather sexing technique will not be accurate for them either as that, too, is a sex linked characteristic that is created through specially selected crosses using slow and fast feathering breed parents. ETA - the difference in feathering rate of the parent birds is not the same as the genetics involved in creating feather sexable chicks, rather simply a function of the fact that generally speaking cockerels feather in more slowly than pullets (not the same as the feather development of the wing feathers)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    General rule of thumb--you can't use a sex link to make a sex link.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by