could these be welsummer ,please help me figure what breed these are

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dpitts13, Mar 7, 2014.

1. dpitts13

dpitts13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    are these welsummer or brown leghorns or ee , also what breed roost[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

er

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The rooster looks to be a white rock. The chicks are probably 3 different breeds or perhaps even crossbreds.

3. Pics 1,2 & 3 are Not welsumers. Possibly # 4 is but you can't really tell a brown leghorn from a welsumer at that age.

I am not positive of these chicks but wait a few more weeks and watch the comb of # 4.

Wish ya the best.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
  5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    My guesses.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  6. steph0601

steph0601 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    The one with the eye makeup, the dark around the eyes, is a welsummer, looks like a pullet from what I can see. We have 4 welsummer pulleys and they looked just like that one

7. What are you looking at that distinguishes #4 as being a Brown Leghorn or Welsummer?

8. steph0601

steph0601 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2014
    Your right could be either I wasn't familiar with the othe breed, I just looked at chick pictures and they are very similar. Just from first look it looks just like my welsummers though

9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    They look close at this age, but this chick is getting in the reddish brown coloring (if my photo is right)...Brown Leghorns stay more dullish brown with gold highlights in neck while Weslummers get more redwood color in their breast (if females).

This little chick has some spots of that redwood coming in towards the chest so there is hope it is a Welsummer rather than a Brown Leghorn.

Time will tell...and the eventual ear lobe color.

Lady of McCamley

10. I currently have Welsummers hens and Brown Leghorn hens and a rooster in my flock of 16. Both had banana yellow legs as chicks and it wasn't until after about eight weeks old that I could visibly notice the slight color change between them. Time will reveal it.

I suspect dpitts13 may have known a Welsummer was in there so hopefully that's what chick #4 turns out to be. I hope for their sake it is as that is what they want. I love the dark eggs I get from my wellies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by