Could these two actually have hatched the same day and be the same breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ernkinz, Mar 2, 2017.

1. ernkinz

ernkinz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2016
    Clemson, SC
    Got these from a local person... was very excited to get bantam Cochins (they're just honestly too cute). One is about a week older than the others and the 4 are supposed to be two weeks old on Saturday (so 12 days in these pictures). One is definitely a large fowl. I noticed that when I picked them up and she thought it was a Black Copper Maran mix up and offered to trade her for a Cochin, which i didn't have a problem with and I intend to keep her.

So, my question: are these chicks the same age and breed? They are both presumed to be 12 days old. The all grey chick (2) quite a bit bigger. Second part of the question is of course their genders. I had read about feather development and then he grey (chick 2) one seems to be a pullet by that meter, but I'm not yet sure about chick 1. Another chick is about the same size as chick 1 but has tell tale cockerel wings.

Thanks for any input
    Chick 1 [​IMG]

Chick 2 [​IMG]

The group [​IMG]chick 1 is third from top, chick 2 on bottom

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  2. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Aside from Sex-Links and other auto-sexing breeds, you cannot tell the gender of the bird until its is older, and not without certainty until 12 weeks of age.

They both look like Cochin chicks to me. The top one looks like a Black Cochin, bottom looks like a Blue Cochin.

3. ernkinz

Feb 20, 2016
    Clemson, SC

I got the answer: it's a silkie! I finally got in touch with the lady I got them from... and then I confirmed with the toes! Should have checked the latter earlier. But now I know.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The red photo is useless, can't make anything out from it. Cochins and silkies both have feathered feet. Silkies (should) have 5 toes, black legs and feet, dark beak, black skin, and eventually dark comb.

5. ernkinz

Feb 20, 2016
    Clemson, SC
    Yeah. It's a silkie. The red photo was for size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by