Could they be catching a few rays?

nifty50chick

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
So I moved my 2 week old chicks to the coop today (isolated corner, deep bedding, heat lamp)

After i got everyone in, most of the gang (there are 37) were wandering about checking out the new digs, catching little spiders and having fun.

Heres the weird part, about half a dozen of them (mostly Black Sex Link and Barred Rock babies) gathered under the light, layed on the sides or their backs and spread their wings out like they were sunbathing.
I didn't get the impression anyone was cold,breathing was normal, they would lay there until somebody crowded or stepped near them, then they would jump up, move around a bit and then do it again.
This lasted for about 45 minutes, some of the chicks would wander off, others would move in to replace them.

Showing off?
wee.gif
Settling in?
woot.gif
Worshipping the Sun God?
bow.gif

Anyone seen this?

They have been in the new coop now about 8 hours, all is well, everyone eating, drinking, pooping and generally being happy chicks. No more sunbathing behaviour
It was the weirdest thing!
Thoughts?

Yes, they actually ARE "heat lamp" bathing. They have more room to stretch out, it feels spacious there now, and they really like the warmth of the lamp.

No, they weren't cold; if they were, they would have huddled.

They sound very happy! Congrats!

I just went to tuck them in for their first night in the big coop.

Yes, sunbathing it is. They are having a blast. Yet, i will probably be awake half the night wondering if they are cold and will be cursing myself in the morning as i walk to the barn having convinced myself of the worst.

I know, I know, they will be just fine and i shouldn't worry.

I will post in the morning after my EARLY visit to the barn!
fl.gif

My girls who are just have been laying for about a month were all out on our deck this afternoon doing exactly that same thing. They all find time during the day to lay out in the yard and sun like that. We had a small group of EE's that did it all the time but the others do it quite a bit as well.

th.gif
The babes had a wonderful night. (way better than mine)

When i walked in they were all dispersed throughout the area, nobody huddling near the light.

I was SO glad to see them so happy and not stinking up my guest room!
ya.gif

Have a great day everyone!

I remember the first time I saw them do that! I had put them out in a wire dog cage to get some air and sun. I looked over and saw them all laid out on the ground.
ep.gif
I freaked out because I thought something was horribly wrong with them.
barnie.gif
It was only after one got up and moved that I realized they were sunbathing!
bow.gif
I now call it the dead chicken pose or the dead chicken pile depending on how close they are laying to each other!
big_smile.png
Its really funny now when I see them do it. Enjoy!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom