could they be hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by egyptchick, Jul 11, 2011.

1. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    Two of my "girls" suddenly became boys in a twelve hour period so after close inspection i was positive that at least two other girls were roos but i am not sure. the two in question are a rhode island red and a black sex link. both have small combs with.very light color and wattles that are more visible then my other girls but no where near as big as my boys. they are about twelve weeks old so is it possible i am seeing roos when really they are hens. can't send picsj, sorry.

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Why cant you post pics?

3. michpetea

michpetea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    They may crow very soon - that will be a giveaway. Lots of RIR and sex-links have large combs and waddles, so you may still have some girls. Are there any green feathers growing in the tail area?

Where in Ontario?

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    black sex link roosters are barred in color, hens are black with red hackles
    would have to see the rir to see for sure on them.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If your black sex link is black, it's a hen. If it's barred black and white, it's a boy. That's the point of sex-linkage.
    At twelve weeks, a group of hens will be kinda like a group of twelve year old human girls. Some will be starting to develop sexually, some will still look like children. So, some hens will start getting redder or larger combs as some breeds can start laying as early as sixteen weeks. Really, we can't help more unless we see pics.

6. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    [​IMG]

here is a pic. Best i could do to get them all in one shot. my 5 girls? are in the middle surrounded by the boys. 4 reds and blackie who is a black sex link. so far no large combs or wattles but blackie has larger wattles then the other girls.

Best guesses would be appreciated. Are these girls?

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Blackie is a girl, don't know about the other one.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The black sex-link is indeed a black sex-link hen. The others in the middle also appear to be hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by