Could they be hiding eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crunchynut, Sep 20, 2011.

1. crunchynut

crunchynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    I have 8 pullets (and some roos) and some are just starting to get to laying age (they're all 20 weeks this week). I have two exchequer leghorns that I expect a first egg from soon, and the others are breeds that I don't expect and egg from for at least another month. The leghorns have been disappearing a lot recently. They fly the run sometime during the day and at least one doesn't usually come back at night (I need to get netting up to cover the run and stop that). I've tried looking for them but they just can't be found, then when I go out in the morning to let the others out and give food/water...they're there just wandering around.

I haven't seen an egg from either of them, but I suppose they could have started a bit early and they're running off to sit on some eggs? I haven't been able to catch them in the escape to follow them and I don't want to pen them up starting now just in case they ARE sitting on fertile eggs (are the first few eggs even usually fertile?).

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Quote:As long as they are able to get away from their coop, there is going to be the possibility that they are hiding eggs...good luck on your egg hunt!

3. crunchynut

crunchynut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    New England
    Thanks! I accidentally solved the mystery tonight. I went out a little early to close up for the night hoping I could catch them before they ran off and saw them flying into a large TREE. So I guess they've decided they need to roost 15+ feet off the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by