Could this ameraucana pullet be a cockerel? *UPDATED PICS* post #13

chickcrazyNC

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
This Ameraucana was sold to me as a hen but the personality seems more like a rooster to me. It's constantly stomping on the other chicks and challenging them by fluffing up it's neck feathers. Do I have a rooster or do hens do this too? He/she is 9 weeks old.

Just wondering what you think now, hen or rooster? I also have 3 Ameraucanas and one of them still acts this way, even though I know it's a hen cause she's laying eggs. She has a much bigger comb than the other two, and is rather noisy! But she's laying big eggs, so I can't blame her for the noise
D.gif

BTW, my chicken book says that occasionally a hen will turn into a rooster!!?? Trans-gender chicken?

Just wondering what you think now, hen or rooster? I also have 3 Ameraucanas and one of them still acts this way, even though I know it's a hen cause she's laying eggs. She has a much bigger comb than the other two, and is rather noisy! But she's laying big eggs, so I can't blame her for the noise
D.gif

BTW, my chicken book says that occasionally a hen will turn into a rooster!!?? Trans-gender chicken?

Was there meant to be a photo attached? I would go ahead and start your own thread so as not to hijack the OP's post about their bird and hopefully the photo will attach when you do so so we can take a look at your bird. That being said - if the bird is laying, it is not a rooster. As noted above, the behaviors listed are not exclusive to males.

Last edited:
X 2 - the behavior is not really gender indicative, but the pictures say it all and that is one handsome EE cockerel you have there.

That looks to be my roosters identical twin! (Seriously!) Sorry, it's an Easter Egger and it is a cockerel.

What makes you think Easter Egger instead of Ameraucana? I really don't care which it is as long as it lays eggs, but just curious what the difference is. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom