Could this be a BA chickie ***updated Pics** I think BA!?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Hooterville, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Does a BA chickie have a white throat, chest and tummy when approx 4 wks old?

I've been trying to ID these 2 black chicks I received as part of my rainbow layers.

They have dark beak, feet, toes, and eyes. Black with just the very tips of the wings looking white. and then the white underside.

Could they be BAs?

4 days
    [​IMG]

This is at about 2 wks:

[​IMG]

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
    [​IMG]

Took a few more pics of the birdies in question. I think they might be BAs.
    Here they are:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Australorps, right??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    This is one of my Blk Australorp chicks at 3 and 4 wks respectively. Mine seemed to have more white than yours, on the rest of the body, not the chest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. Slike

Slike Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Puna, Big Island, HI
    Hooterville's have yellow webbing past the black on their feet, while Chickenfever's has pink - I'm guessing one is a mix and one is not? I don't know which BAs are supposed to have.

4. chickenfever

chickenfever Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    Arizona
    Well, full grown the legs should be black to dark slate, with bottoms of feet and toes pinkish.

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think black jersey giants have yellow on the bottoms of their feet. Maybe that's what it is.

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

The amount of white has nothing to do with breed, many black chickens have varying degrees of white when they hatch. They lose it when they get their adult plumage. I've seen both solid black chicks and chicks with lots of white from both breeds (Australorps and Giants).

Australorps are supposed to have pink soles on their feet, Giants are supposed to have yellow, but that's not a sure thing with hatchery stock. You'll know if they're Jersey Giants or Australorps if one or both develop to be very large. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  7. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Here are my BA:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one in the middle is the only one with pinkish between the toes, are you guys saying the other two are Jersey Giants?

8. Hooterville

Thanks for all the replies!

Mine still have the slate and yellowish feet. I was wondering if as they got older they would get the correct color for BAs. They could very well be jersey giants I guess.

Mine seem to have longer tail feathers than the ones pictured above. They should be pure something since they are hatchery birds, but I do understand that sometimes a mix gets thrown in!

I'll try to post a recent picture later today.

Thanks again!
    [​IMG]

9. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    My chick that I thought was a BA was in fact a Red Star I think. You would see some red brown feathers on the neck though and I don't see that in the second picture.

[​IMG]

10. Hooterville

Bumping for new pics I added! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by