1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could this be a drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Arztwolf, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Arztwolf

Arztwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    I know very little about sexing ducks, so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I have two 6 week old Khaki Campbells, Chowder and Piper. Chowder has a white ring around his/her neck, is this just a random marking or a sign that its a boy? He/She is also darker then Piper.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Both look to be drakes, but pictures... A hen has the loud quake-drake much softer-more of a hissng/rasping sound.

3. brookesducks

brookesducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2016
    Beside listening to their voice the only other way is to wait until they are a little older and get their coloring. Male will get a dark head with the white ring. Also look for a curled tail feather.

4. frenchbet

frenchbet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    Sometimes when they are that age you can tell whether a Khaki Campbell is a male or female by the color of the bean on their bill. The males tend to have a dark almost black bean and the females have a lighter brown bean. This proved right for mine and then I could tell for sure once their drake feathers grew in. None of my Khaki Campbells ever had a white ring.

5. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    Their beans are light colored. What exactly is the "bean"? I know its that little thing on the bill, but what does it do/is it for? Vestigial egg tooth?

6. frenchbet

frenchbet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2015
    I'm thinking you may have 2 females if their beans are light in color. And I don't know what exactly the bean is for....if it has any purpose.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jackyduckz

Jackyduckz New Egg

Jul 6, 2015
    It's pretty hard to tell if Chowder or any duck at the age of 6 weeks is a male or female... . When my ducks were about that age, they were a similar breed to yours, and they looked like yours too. I thought they were all females because they just got all their feathers and were basically pure brown. But after a while of waiting some of them had new feathers grown around their heads and necks and I could tell for sure.
    If, in about a month or so, Chowder or one of your ducks starts getting green, black, or another color on it's head and neck it's a drake.

But you don't have to tell just by the appearance, as, if they are male, they will develop a drakes' characteristics.

The drakes have more of a raspy, quite voice... while ducks have a loud quack sound, and they quack way more often.
    If one is a drake, then it will start mating with the other, too.

I hope this somehow helped! :3

1 person likes this.
  8. Arztwolf

Aug 5, 2014
    SW Texas
    It was very helpful, thank you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by