Could this be a Frizzle mutt

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by wowmanacat, Jun 28, 2011.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I am not really sure what breed this is for I bough it as a chick at our local county auction. It is the only one that looks like this. At this time he is about 6 weeks old and growing slow, but very friendly. He will just sit in my lap and chill.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    At this time he just stays with all the 3 week oldes in the brooder and is just fine with it. I know that it is a he for there are spur dots on his legs, althought it still could be a hen that is mixed with game birds.

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not frizzled, and spur buds are no indicator of gender. ALL chickens have them just as all mammals, regardless of gender have nipples. Spurs are one of the last things to develop on males; there will be many other clues to gender long before you see spurs.

3. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Quote:Thank you for letting me know about the spur buds, I am still very new to the chicken world. I would love for this to be a hen for that is what I need, but for some reason most of what I have hatched so far have been roosters, well at least form my own eggs.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Thank you for letting me know about the spur buds, I am still very new to the chicken world. I would love for this to be a hen for that is what I need, but for some reason most of what I have hatched so far have been roosters, well at least form my own eggs.

That's Murphy for you. About the only time you hatch mostly or only females is when you NEED, or at least desparately want boys.

5. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I did not get this one form a hatcher, I got it at our local country auction. That is where I get all my chicks, eggs and other stuff that I need for my farm. You never know what you will find there. I got an americana there from one of the eggs that I hatched. I know this for it has green/blue legs. It might not be a pure breed but at least I got one.

6. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    After doing some research in books and looking at the hatchery catalogs that I have I do believer that this is a Araucana. In the crackle hatchery catalog it says "The true Araucana chicken is rumpless and has a small curling tuft of feathers next to each ear." Well Tiny sure looks to fit the bill.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Her head does not look like that of an araucana, but I cannot tell if she has tufts of not from your photos. Can you take a photo of her so that her ears show better? Here is my araucana, Harmony:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  8. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    She does not have the ear tuffs as of yet but I am not sure when they get them and she is a very slow grower to boot. It took her over 6 weeks just to feather out most of the way. She still does not have all her feathers. She is not much bigger than my 4 week olds and some of them have more feathers than she does. In the pictures that are here she is like 4 weeks old or so. She is 6 weeks now. I would post more pictures but I don't have a camera at this time. I have to get a new one.

9. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    here is a bit more that I have found. She has a pea comb, is a rumpless and has no ear tuffs so what is she.

10. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    not all get tuffs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by