Could this be a fungus or pox??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Booker9725, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Booker9725

Booker9725 New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    I posted a few days ago about my hen and an eye issue. I feel this is more of a skin issue. It is progressively getting worse and has been present at least a month or more. The other side is totally normal. I treated with Nutri Drench, VetRx and Vetricyn with minimal results. Now I'm using topical ointments including triple antibiotic, miconazole and cortisone. Could this be bacterial/fungus/fowl pox?? No other symptoms and she is eating like a champ and still laying.
    Thank you. [​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I noticed in your other picture that there is snow on the ground. If that is so, then it would probably rule out pox, since it is a virus spread by mosquitoes in warm weather. It does resemble pox in your latest picture. I don't think it looks like a fungus. Sometimes these things can be hard to diagnose. I remember a case recently on here with similar facial swelling, but no other respiratory symptoms, and the owner cannot get a diagnosis. If I were you, I would contact your state vet or local department of agriculture to get her tested for MG or coryza.

3. Booker9725

Booker9725 New Egg

Mar 26, 2015
    Thank you eggcessive!

Yep you're right...rule out pox...no mosquitos yet. As for MG or coryza, wouldn't the rest of my flock be affected? I only have 7 total and everyone is perfectly fine and this particular chicken has not had any other symptoms besides the weird skin. I'm hoping it's just a sinus/respiratory (simple) cause. As I've been treating with the topicals she looks much better and the swelling has gone down. So I think I'm going to get some Tylan today and give her a few doses. Thoughts?

Ps After reading your first reply I did a lot of research on MG and coryza and it has me scared to death! I don't want a closed flock...I want to add chicks every year...now I'm petrified. I guess the only way is to have her tested or the entire flock tested. I also read that 90% of all backyard flocks carry MG. True? So again, do you think if it was either or the rest of the flock would have gotten sick as well? This has been ongoing for well over a month maybe two.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by