Could this be a genetic abnormality or is it illness?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by furbabymum, Feb 10, 2014.

1. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    This is about baby chicks so I'm putting it here but if you feel it should be moved to the illness/cure thing go ahead.
    Basically I hatched out chicks from bought eggs. I have had several die of mysterious causes. They are all the same type of chick. I had 3 types and all of the 1 type have died. They start out walking around just fine and normal. Then they're walking on their bent legs. Then they're just laying about and stumbling around. Then they're dead. I've no idea what is going on. I have Sav-a-chick in the water. None of the other chicks are getting whatever this is, just this one particular breed. Any ideas on what this could be and if it is an illness how I can protect my other chicks from it? They're all a week old now and I just had another one of that breed of chick die yesterday. It progresses pretty rapidly. I'll notice they're getting it and within 2 days they're gone.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    This almost sounds like a vitamin B1 (thiamin)deficiency. With a B1 deficiency the chick will develop weak legs become unsteady on their feet progressive paralysis starts at the feet and works upward until the chick sits back on their hocks heads pointed upward. To save the chick oral thiamin or B1 is given. They may recover with that. Hope this helps. Best wishes

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  3. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    That does sound like it. Is it not in the Sav-a-chick stuff? Guess not. I'll have to go get some B1 for future occurances. I guess this breed must have just been more susceptible to it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by