Could this be a good coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by msheets, Nov 5, 2011.

1. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    I have a 4 stall/run dog kennel that I have for my beagles but this year my husband built a brand new "off the ground" kennel so this one is just setting there. I wasn't sure what to do with it since its still in my opinion to good to just tear down...then it hit me, maybe it could be my new chicken coop! I live out of city limits but within a subdivision without a fenced yard so out of the 200+ eggs I've hatched I could never keep even one chicken. I don't want a bunch of them, just maybe a bantam trio of a certain breed in each run? There's 3 the same size & then the 4th one is a double, so maybe a trio of full size chickens just for eggs...tell me what you guys think, like if it's big enough & any adjustments you'd make. Also each inside portion has a heat lamp built in. It's probably a good 12-15 feet wide if you're looking right at it & each run is 8-10 feet long including the enclosed area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd give the girls ground time every day or access to a larger run. othe than that it's a good chicken house, just needs the run.

3. msheets

msheets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Hurricane, WV
    Now I'm new to actually keeping chickens so don't get too upset if I suggest something that's not "accepted", I'd never knowingly put one of my animals in danger but I've seen people attach a line to the chicken's foot, is that humane? I can see a chicken peacefully walking around with it or I can see one going crazy to get lose & hurting itself so please tell me...also if that's not an option I could put up a 4 foot temporary fence, I have a pretty good sized one that I use for pups, it's probably a little smaller than half a BASKETBALL court, would they jump it & would that be big enough? Thank you for the input

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I think they would be great to get started with. Thought I posted it but these nesting boxes are great http://fowlstuff.com/Products.html to attach to the sides of the wooden dog house for nests

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I just bought two of those nest units and haven't installed them yet (I have plenty of nests already but it never hurts to give the girls more options.... the flock free ranges and some of the girls are laying in nests THEY made in the bushes....)

And for tying a chicken by the leg, don't do it. Make them a run.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Size-wise it should work for what you want to do, with bantams and that double for full sized. In West Virginia, you should not need the heat lamps.

The things I'd consider.

I'm not sure you have enough height to put the roosts higher than the nesting boxes, but maybe. They like to roost on the highest thing available. You don't want them sleeping in your nesting boxes since they poop a lot at night. That does not make for nice clean eggs.

Do you have good access to get in there to clean? Could you retrieve a chicken that doesn't want to be retrieved?

Is the material and construction sufficient to keep raccoons, dogs, and coyotes from ripping their way in to the chickens?

I think you will find that the poop will not go through that wire on its own, but they will walk on it and scratch it and the poop on the wire section will fall through. How easy will it be to rake the poop out from under there?

How big are the openings in that wire, especially in the bottom? My brooder and grow out pen have 1/2" hardware cloth bottoms, and I have never seen any feet problems due to that. I'd be kind of uncomfortabel with the holes any bigger. My concern is not the health of the chickens feet, but that a raccoon cound get under there and maybe reach through the wire to get parts of the chickens and pull them through the wire to eat, especially feet and legs.

My chickens don't like wind. The cold does not bother them and some even get used to snow if they see enough of it, but they don't like wind. I'd consider blocking off a side in a way to create a wind break, at least from your predominant wind direction. My coop and run are totally different, but the gate and coop make a nice corner out of the wind that they like to hang in when the wind is blowing. You might need to block off a corner all the way to the ground.

That's about all I can come up with right now. Good luck!!!

7. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    They will strangle themselves with string. The previous owner of my coop had string attached to the interior door and found one all tangled and hanging dead in it. I've meant to ask my chickens if they think the coop is haunted now..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by