Could this be a Light Brahm.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jolyn, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I went back to the feed store today to see if i could figure out what Helga is. Some on here had said she wasn't a Rhode Island Red like we had thought. They had been selling Light Brahms...(is that how it's spelled?) in the same brooder but had thought they were all gone. Could she have been a lone LB? I tried looking on Cackle Hatchery but couldn't find any chick pictures of them.

[​IMG]

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i cant see their lil feets.if they have feathers on their lil feets they could be brimmers.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Hey Jolyn,
    For what it's worth, my light brahma girls don't look like that in that they don't have (what I call) chipmunk stripes down their backs. They have more of an all over darkness on their backs. My dark brahmas have the stripe. McMurray's site has pics of the different baby chicks. Under each breed you'll see a thumbnail pic of the babies and you can click on it to enlarge it.
    Edited to add: Mine have pretty fuzzy feet too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  4. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    No fuzzy feet at all on this little one!!! Boy i guess she is a mystery chick. [​IMG]

I'm holding out hope she is an Americana. She does look similar to a chick on the website you suggested.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Not a brahma ... they have feathered feet... it is too dark to be a light brahma anyway...

here is a pic of my Lt Brahma at 3 days old

[​IMG]

Her back at 3 days

[​IMG]

6. Jolyn

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Nope that's not what it looks like.

Cetawin~ That little black and gray one is adorable!!

7. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Not a brahma. You see, like people have said, brahmas have feathered feet. I would say that your chick is a rhode island red. I have raised RIR's, and based on that picture, it should end up being a RIR.

8. jemagsy

jemagsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Georgia
  9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Quote:Why thank you...that is Speckles. A SLW (Silver Laced Wyandotte). She is suffering an identity crisis at present. She thinks she is either
    1. a parrot or
    2. entitled to roam the house as she pleases. [​IMG]

She is a sweetie. This is what she looks like now at almost 4 weeks...notice she is sitting on the side of the hot tub instead of IN IT! lol

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by