Could this be a light brahma?

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
He was in a bin that was labeled salmon faverolle, assorted bantam and polish. Definitely not a bantam or polish and after seeing a light brahma chick, I am thinking maybe a light brahma? Anyone have any guesses?
IMG_20220320_140149643_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220320_140712169_HDR.jpg
1647872657448.png

He was in a bin that was labeled salmon faverolle, assorted bantam and polish. Definitely not a bantam or polish and after seeing a light brahma chick, I am thinking maybe a light brahma? Anyone have any guesses?
IMG_20220320_140149643_HDR.jpg
How many toes doe it have? And is that a single comb or a pea comb?

Last edited:

Six toes? Is that per foot or total?

For most chickens, each foot has three toes pointing forward and one pointing backward for a total of four per foot.

But some breeds have an extra toe pointing backward, making five per foot (3 forward, 2 backward).

With that appearance and 5 toes per foot, I think it must be an Easter Egger who has a bit of Silkie mixed in.

Several hatcheries are producing Easter Eggers with various interesting traits, including feathered feet and 5th toes from crossing with Silkies. ("Easter Eggers" being any chickens that are supposed to lay blue or green eggs, but do not meet the standard description of any known pure breeds.)

Your chick does look quite a bit like a Light Brahma, but Brahmas do not have extra toes, and the patterning in the neck feathers doens't look quite right either. Other chickens with similar color patterns include Light Sussex, Columbian Rock, Columbian Wyandotte, and Delaware-- but none of them would have feathered feet, so none of them is right either.

With that appearance and 5 toes per foot, I think it must be an Easter Egger who has a bit of Silkie mixed in.

Several hatcheries are producing Easter Eggers with various interesting traits, including feathered feet and 5th toes from crossing with Silkies. ("Easter Eggers" being any chickens that are supposed to lay blue or green eggs, but do not meet the standard description of any known pure breeds.)

Your chick does look quite a bit like a Light Brahma, but Brahmas do not have extra toes, and the patterning in the neck feathers doens't look quite right either. Other chickens with similar color patterns include Light Sussex, Columbian Rock, Columbian Wyandotte, and Delaware-- but none of them would have feathered feet, so none of them is right either.
Darn. I was trying to figure out more gender than breed, but without a breed, that makes it harder 😞

Back
Top Bottom