1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could this be a little roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissCluckCluck, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Rooster

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Hen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MissCluckCluck

MissCluckCluck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    This is one of my Ameraucana chicks. It's probably about 2-4 weeks. I'm a little worried because compared to the other chicks, who are all supposed to be pullets, it's comb is more developed.
    [​IMG]

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    that doesn't look like a pea comb, which means it sure isn't an ameraucana. It could be a boy but the picture doesn't help at all. Look for dark rusty red coming in on the shoulders and back - that is indicative of rooster coloring in Easter Eggers.

1 person likes this.
  3. MissCluckCluck

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Sorry, it's kind of hard to get a proper picture, they move so much. I'll look for the rusty colour coming in. Thanks.

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Yes it is hard!!! I use the "macro" setting on my camera when getting close-ups of chicks (mine is an icon of a flower) - it's designed for the camera being close to the subject and can focus at that small distance.

My EE girl's comb pinked up early but didn't start to raise until much later, so I wouldn't worry too much if it's just color change. Also the dominant chick will grow faster than the rest - is this chick the leader of the pack? The rusty red is the only real reliable indicator until the chicks are older.

5. MissCluckCluck

Feb 19, 2012
    SW Ontario, Canada
    Actually, I used the SUPER macro setting on my camera! [​IMG] It's very hard to hold a chick with one hand and take a picture with the other!
    I did notice this morning that this little one IS basically the leader. It kept jumping at the others. It'll be hard to tell if there's a rusty colour though, the chick itself is an orange-y colour with black. The black is almost like a Barred Rock's pattern.

6. SelfSufficient

SelfSufficient Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2012
    San Marcos, Tx
    At 4-1/2 weeks our Ameraucana pullet is mostly creamy white with some silver feathering - like most of the pics I've seen on other breed sites. Roos, I believe are colored other than the silver white. But, too, there can br lots of variations within the breed. [​IMG] I can't figure out how to post pics or I would. TSC breed selector has a pic with the hen in the background.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by