1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Could this be a Magpie egg or something else?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keyt1969, Dec 22, 2011.

1. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Today we gathered this egg which we have never seen before. At first I thought it was one of our somewhat new chickens that we got from a friend, but it's much smaller than a regular chicken egg. I do have one female Magpie that lives with the chickens so I was wondering if it was her, but I thought their eggs were white!?

Any ideas?

[​IMG]
    The egg is darker than anything I have seen

[​IMG]
    Here it is next to a regular chicken egg. It's definitely small!!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
  3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Their first eggs are darker. My khaki laid an olive egg, but since then they have turned to white. If it has a smooth waxy feel, which it looks like it does, then it's a duck egg. Congrats!

4. keyt1969

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

I was hoping I'd get that response!!!

She's well overdue to lay and I figured it wasn't the chickens. I'm sooo excited!!!

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Cayugas regularly lay eggs like that early in the season (caused by a eumelanin (black pigment) overdose).

6. keyt1969

Quote:Definitely not one of my cayugas. All of my ducks have their own run. The 5 calls live with the chickens because two of them bully another one. So I have 5 calls with the chickens and one with the ducks. So there's no doubt this is the magpie. I only have one female over there. It's a bantam sized egg but I knew it wasn't a bantam chicken because those chickens have been laying for a while. I've just never seen one this color before. It's so exciting. Just for the hell of it I stuck it in the incubator which I fired up a couple of days ago for a totally different reason!! What amazed me is how I can see right through it when I candled it for the fun of it!!

7. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote:Sorry very random but I absolutely love your pic!!!! Its hilarious (And the movie is great too lol)

8. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    duck&chickencrazy :

Quote:Sorry very random but I absolutely love your pic!!!! Its hilarious (And the movie is great too lol)

hahahaha thank you! it made me giggle... glad it had the same effect on you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by