Could this be a pullet egg? [PIC]

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wynette, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

I'll try to keep the text short. I THOUGHT Carmen was laying last fall. I have one that lays green eggs (Sissy), and all the rest are tan/pink. Anyhow, in the last week or so, I've noticed Carmen's comb had begun to turn red and become swollen, so I knew she'd be starting...I thought, "again." I went home from work for lunch, and Carmen was in the nest box, scratching around. When I got home after work, I found this GREEN egg! My confusion is because for a pullet egg, it's huge - 2.2 ozs. (Large size). It's pictured next to a Jumbo 2.75 oz. egg.

My questions are: is it possible that my known green egg layer has started to lay again? Her comb is NOT red, NOR swollen. It just seems like this egg must be from Carmen, since she was the one scratching in the nest box, and she has a red/swollen comb. She is over 8 months old; is it possible that it's from Carmen and that it's so big for a pullet egg because she started to lay so late? Or, is it more likely that Sissy laid it?

Is the red/swollen comb thing just a "first time laying" thing, or does this happen each time they begin to lay again? Also, when they have time off of laying, do they lay pullet sized eggs again when they start back up? Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Anyone? I'm really anxious to get opinions!

3. karmical

karmical Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2007
    Honeoye Falls, NY
    Hmmm....well, I don't know if this really helps, but the experience I can share is that I have 7 pullets, all 7 months old who've only been laying for about 3 weeks, and they lay pretty big eggs. My Buff Rock's first egg was HUGE! She's a big girl though. With my bunch, the size of their eggs seem proportional to their body size.

As far as getting a green egg from Carmen, is it possible according to her breeding? Do you know if she has any "green-egg-layer" genes?

Edited to day:

Sorry....just looked back at your post and see that Carmen IS an EE [​IMG] I think that means it could be her!! Were Sissy's eggs elongated like that? That's another thing I've noticed...that they shape of my girls' eggs are pretty much always the same....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    If you pop it in the mail to me I'll be sure to tell you who's it is.... [​IMG]

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Nice looking egg! I would vote for Carmen laying it - especially if Sissy's comb is shriviled up and barely pink.

6. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    So, when they're laying, do their combs always turn red and swell up?

Yep, Carmen's an EE. I don't know about her genes. Got her from a hatchery...that was before I knew about BYC!

Sissy's eggs aren't elongated like this one is, but when my girls first began to lay, I had a few elongated ones. I thought that was just typical of pullet eggs.

Thanks so much for your feedback - I appreciate it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by